Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home Tuesday on my '04 500R and it started hesitating really badly at 5000 rpms, didn't matter which gear I was in it just didn't want to move at 5k. I initially thought I had just gotten some bad gas because the problem started right after I filled the tank up after hitting reserve. I get it home and park it and don't ride it because I knew I wouldn't have a chance to work on it until Friday/Saturday. So Saturday rolls around and I look at the Haynes and Kawa Service Manual(s) I have and start taking the bike apart. After removing the gas tank I pull out the plugs to find that they are fouled as a result of carbon deposits. The Haynes manual tells me it is because my fuel/air mixture is off and I am running too rich. I start looking to the air filter and take it apart. The air box has a "plug" coming out of the foam "horn" piece that comes out of the air-box. I remove that and then take a look at the actual filter. It looks like the filter wasn't exactly fitted correctly when I pull it out. It really isn't all that dirty so I just put it back in. Obviously I am not sure what the deal is so I decide I guess I am going to have to take the bike in for service. I put the fouled plugs back in and reassemble everything. Just for kicks I decide to take the bike out to see if she is still acting up. I get her out and don't have any problems at any rpms. She runs like a top like she used to, maybe even better. Could the possible air filter misalignment coupled with the goofy air box plug have fouled my plugs? How long would would it take for carbon fouling to occur on my plugs? Has this happened to anyone else? I just had the bike service by a Kawa tech a month/1200 miles ago, could something go wrong that quickly with my new bike?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a similar problem, but it turned out to be the strangest thing I've ever seen. I had a large spider stuck on top the the carberator intake. Funny, but aggrevating! Maybe it's something like that. I have same bike only year is 2002. Everything you said sounds the same as what happened to me, except I was riding when it just started happening.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
PROBLEMS

IF you don't keep records...I'd throw away the plugs, and get a new air filter. Definately, you should always have a spare at home because nothing is open on Sunday when yo uwant to go for an evening ride...You can clean the plugs,,,but you won't get them completely clean no matter what you do...maybe keep them for spares, same as the air filter...also, use a good fuel filter not one of those plastic ones, and remember on every birthday to change it or every spring to change it...MOST IMPORTANT...keep a record with dates and mileage. IF you store your bike in the fall put some STABLE in your tank when you fill it and then ride it around to make sure it gets into the carbs, and then it woulkdn't hurt to start it during the winter monthsa and run it around on nice days...but when spring runs in toss the fuel filter and dump the gas into the gas can for the lawn mower and get fresh gas for the bike!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey all,
I have a 1991 zx600d and its losing power. When accelerate past about 5000rpm it boggs out.
I just had it tuned a a week ago. I had the chain+sprockets+rear dampner replaced, the carbs cleaned and the jets set lower (they were set to as rich at they can go), the coolant and oil changed & a few cosmetics done.
I went out tonight and did a little poking around under the tank. I found that there is a button like valve attached under the tank that the main gas line runs from. The gas can only pass through the valve when the button is depressed ( it is supposed to be depressed when the seat is on). So I dismantled the button so now it always stays ALL the way open. <-- could this have been enough to cause a loss of power?
The other thing I found was a red sticky substance (trany fluid?? oil??) in the bottom of the air box and in the air filter??<-- could this starve enough air to slow me down?

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
goofy air box plug

can you get a picture of this?

not that it really matters, it's running good now. just make sure that you don't have a hole on the carb side of the filter letting in unfiltered air.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts