Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few of you have mods to your EX500. My question is are you happy with the mods you have now.

I am looking at rearsets and clipons. I know what the rearsets are and the purpose, but the clipons confuse me a little. Do they just lower the handlebars? My guess would be lower and move them forward a little. Combined with rearsets, this would give you a more leaned forward ride, right?

Also, a couple of you, freakinout being the one that comes to mind, have lengthened/shortened the dogbone. This is essentially the mount for the rear suspension, right? Also, what does raising the rear do for the handling and performance of the bike? Or is it simply aesthetic? I could flatfoot it if it was about an inch or two higher.

Pirreli Sport Demons are looking good to me, but if you increase the width and the sidewall height ratio stays the same, won't you get a slightly larger overall diameter? I was looking at 120/70 and 150/70. That seems like a large sidewall increase to me. How far off would my speedo be?

Sorry for the long post, but I am a relative beginner with just under 2000 miles on my 2004 EX500. Thank you for your help in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
With good clip ons you can make your ride more comfortable. You have two and four ways adjustable clip ons. If you want to buy clip ons then buy four ways adjustable. Tomaselli su one of the best. On the picture are Blondeel four ways adjustable.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Raising the rear of the bike and lowering the front of the bike makes the bike more 'flickable' or in other words I can go from upright to fully leaned over quicker.

You can run 120/70 or 120/60 or 110/70 up front, I'd recommend the 120/70 because the speedo will be right on with it. (it is with mine)

You can run a 150/60 on the back but NOT a 150/70, it will not fit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here you can see my home made clipons. I had to lower my front (very easy, 10 minuts job) for 5/8" in order to make a better grip for clipons. To do that you have to loose top and mid fork brackets on both side so fork can go through. Now, it is much easier to lean the bike. Also it gives me a better rear (mirror) view.

and here you can see 3 more pictures:

http://mrlja.250free.com/Kawasaki/Clipons1.jpg
http://mrlja.250free.com/Kawasaki/Clipons2.jpg
http://mrlja.250free.com/Kawasaki/Clipons4.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I respect you guys for what you do with your bikes and with advice and info on the forums. I am convinced now, I will do the clipons, rearsets and raise the back. Along with tires first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't screw up your geometry at all does it? I would assume it handles better because the steering geometry is already pretty bad. Anyways, great.

All the mods I am going to do first are handling.

You never see an olympic runner with weak ankles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, how far do you lower the front? Just as low as you need to get the clipons mounted properly? And the dogbones change, what would I do for that? Just get one of the adjustables off ebay like a few here have done, or should I modify the ones that are on there?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
pavendort said:
Also, how far do you lower the front? Just as low as you need to get the clipons mounted properly? And the dogbones change, what would I do for that? Just get one of the adjustables off ebay like a few here have done, or should I modify the ones that are on there?
I got a machine shop to modify my dogbones.

I ended up lowering the front end like an inch or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you drag your fairing on things? I thought the full lower was a little lower. But if you are raising one end, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
pavendort said:
Do you drag your fairing on things? I thought the full lower was a little lower. But if you are raising one end, I could be wrong.
I've raised the tail, which added some ground clearance, but I still drag it a bit, if I slowed down I wouldn't drag it at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I typically ride pretty hard, but shouldn't have any problems. I will have to build a slightly longer ramp to get under my overhang and avoid the one speedbump on the island that is pretty high.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So to go down one tooth in the front, what sprocket do I need? 15 tooth? I am too lazy to go out in the rain and pull the little cover off and count teeth.

Just because I really couldn't find the actual stock number of teeth anywhere easily, what are the stock numbers for front and rear?

Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts