Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that some of you may have some insight for me on this one....

My 92 EX500 has decided that it does not like to stay in gear sometimes on the last few rides I've been on. It seems that if you acellerate or decellerate hard while in 1st or 2nd it will pop out into neutral (no painful sounds, just pops right into neutral). Once it's done that, I have to slow down quite a bit to get it back into gear without having the poor bike scream murder at me.

I figger that since this bike has had a new owner almost each year of it's life (I'm only the second person to hold it for over a year) and it's probably been beginners the whole time, it's probably taken alot of abuse.

So.... I assume that this means I need a repair/rebuild on the tranny, yes/no? Is this something that is relatively inexpensive to fix, or am I in big trouble? Is it something that I could tackle on my own (not super mechanical but I can usually figger it out, especially if it is cheaper :wink: )?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
might be rounded dogs on the gears, might be something simple with the shifting mechanism , shoulda , coulda , woulda :roll: :wink:
sounds like it off to the shop for a diag.
good luck :?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably my best bet then trying tons of ideas I'm not too comfortable with... Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts