Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see my bike come apart, so it's a little harder trying to put it back together. Right now I'm stuck on how to connect the vacuum hoses on the carbs. Do they run to a T adapter, then to the breather hose, which runs from the head cover to the air box?

Alternatively, I've seen a lot of people remove the breather hoses. In that case, what do you do with the vacuum hoses? Or am I missing something, and they connect somewhere else entirely?

Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thats how it is on mine. 2 go to a t adapter then into the beather hose. 1 is for the vacum feed on the petcock and 1 is plugged on the carb and goes to nothing.

I'd definately not compleately remove the breather system but leave as it is or if you are installing individule air filters, route the feed from the air box down to the ground at the center of the bike where all the other drip/vent tubes are now. Just takes some more hose about the same size to do the routing but will make things easier in the end.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a little experimentation ...

Thanks for your response, but I think I've got it figured out.

Heres how it went:
No fuel coming from the tank. Took of the petcock, opened it up, blew air through it *backwards.* Put it back, didn't work. Repeated several times. Finally cleaned it out good and tried to suck air through it (make sure its clean!!!!), didn't work very well. Finally discovered, doing this and that, it needs a vacuum to activate. One of the tubes from the carbs is the perfect length! Therefore, that was connected and the right carb was taken care of. Next, only place left to connect the left carb was the breather hose. Its the perfect length, go figure.

Hope that helps anyone else who has the same problem. This works for a 1996 EX500 Ninja, or at least is did for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Different question about the vacume system

I have a 1989 EX500 with 21000+ miles. It was running fine. I replaced the air and fuel filters, put in new plugs and removed the vapor recovery canister (I think that is what it is called) from the emissions system. Some of the hoses were cracking so I replaced those with new silicone type hoses.

Here is my problem: The bike starts fine, after a few seconds to minutes of riding it begins to bog and will stall if I don't pump the throttle. It clears itself up after a couple moments, but usually I have to pull over and restart the bike. I though I pinched one of the new hoses so I check and replaced one that was pinched. I still experience the problem. I read that the pepcock needs a vacume to work properly. Since I have caped off the hose that lead to the vapor recovery canister (not the seperator, all those hoses are intact) would this have an ill effect on the vacume at the pepcock. If so, how have others removed the emmison controls (standard on CA models) or how are the hoses routed for bikes without the emmisions stuff?

THANKS!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
removing emissions control unit

'Emissions controls' on the 49 state bikes (not California) consist of two ports coming off the top of the engine, just in front of the spark plugs. These run together into a weird cylinder with a vacuum valve. I believe it recycles the air back into the airbox when the bike is running (vacuum exists) but not when the bike is off (vacuum does not exist). Vacuum is provided by a port on the carboraters (spelled wrong, oh well). Now, I think the vacuum tubes are *supposed* to run from the two carbs into a T, and attach to the ECU (Emissions Control Unit). Because the petcock is vacuum controled (at least on my bike, 1996 EX500), I guess it should T off for the ECU then continue to the petcock.

Now for removal. I would suggest either capping one of the carbs, and using just one to actuate the petcock, or run them together (T joint) and then to the petcock.

For your problem. If it's not getting fuel, you would know. After re-attaching the fuel tank (assuming you removed it), the would not start. No fuel. Thats what happened to me, and how I found out I had to run one tube to the petcock. Running and stopping is (in my opinion) due to something else. My suggestion? Take it to a kawasaki shop. Failing that, get a book and see what it says about it. Just so you know, I couldn't find anything interesting about it in the Haynes manual or the Clymer (just checked both)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I took your advise and removed the whole the system. I capped off the ends that I don't need anymore and left the carb conected to the petcock so the fuel would flow. Seems to be working ok. I think the loss of power I was experiencing was air in the line from disconnecting the fuel hoses when I remove the tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope its running good for you now. As a side not though, the fuel usually flows pretty well, and I've never experianced any problems such as you mentioned. What it could be, is that the overflow from the carbs (pale yellow tube on my bike) may have been too close to the intake. I've heard this will starve the bike of fuel.

Have a good time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Different question about the vacume system

This may be a coincidence, but I just experienced the same symptoms on my 89 ex500. I purchased it in CA in 1990. It has 14,000 miles. Engine stalls but can be restarted if throttle pumped. Sounds like its missing, etc. The only thing that I did was change the battery before these symptoms appeared. I have not been able to resolve the issue. Have you solved your mystery? If so, I would appreciate your sharing. PS. If I figure it out before hearing from you, I'll post it on the BB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
EX500 losing power

I noticed a gasoline smell when I was running it in my garage. I pulled the plugs, cleaned them and it seemed to clear up for a few days, but I'm back to lost power and rough running. I really think one of the cylinders is not combusting. Does anyone have a checklist to troubleshoot that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts