Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10+ years bikeless I just bought a 2000 EX500R. I'd like to pick up an aftermarket exhaust for sure, seems like K&N filters & rejetting is pretty standard too. Does anyone change the gearing? I really don't need a top end of 140mph & being a car nut I know the benifits of lower (higher numerical) gearing. I'd be particularly interested to hear what products you've been happy (or unhappy) with, especially exhaust. -Also what retailers have good prices? - I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to bikes & don't really have time for real thourough research presently. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 04 500 and it is currently getting a full D&D show an go exhaust, #135 main jets, K&N filter (not pods), and timing advancer. I thought about changing the sprokets, but said screw it, i'm doing enough already :p
Freakin would know more than me :wink:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
K&N, full exhaust, stage 3 rejetting. I would also suggest changing sprockets up a bit. I'm about to order a -1 tooth front and a +1 back to install (giving effect of +4 rear). We'll see how much more I get out of the bike then. I am also looking at doing an ignition advance around the same time. (if I have the money).

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
ekinnee said:
Wish I had hat much cash to blow... ;)
I gotta replace the chain/sprockets anyway, they are getting near the end of their lives. So I figure I can spend 3 bucks more and change up the gearing. The ignition advancer costs 50 bucks from factory pro and is supposed to help a TON on throttle response, but we'll see about that.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
casadepunklife said:
thanks for the ideas guys. Is it usually a necessity to re-jet when changing exhaust systems?
If you do slip-ons (change muffler, leave headpipe) then you don't have to rejet, but if you do a full exhaust rejetting will be necessary or else you'll be running the motor lean (which is very very bad for it). Rejetting is very easy though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So after K&N, full exhaust, and stage 3 rejetting, what kind of HP do you expect to be making? I'm thinking of coupling it with some Pirelli Diablos(other thread ;) ).

Also : Where would you recommend getting this stuff?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
comeback_kid96 said:
So after K&N, full exhaust, and stage 3 rejetting, what kind of HP do you expect to be making? I'm thinking of coupling it with some Pirelli Diablos(other thread ;) ).

Also : Where would you recommend getting this stuff?
http://www.pipecity.com/ for the exhaust

and www.denniskirk.com for the jet kit and air pods. After you tune motor to run correctly with this setup you will notice a definite increase when you are riding, I'm not sure of exact number (no $$ for dyno testing).

Here is a guide for installing a jet kit on a ex500
http://www.factorypro.com/magazine/Install_a_jet_kit_ex250,ex500,Rocky.html

and here is the best guide in the world. It is a walkthrough for any engine that you follow and tune for the best power throughout the rpm range.

When I did these upgrades and got my bike running really well my powerband moved from starting at 6K to starting at 4K. and it runs through about 10K. Peak torque is at about 6900rpm. going 30mph in third gear I can go full throttle and be going 80 within a couple of seconds. Big difference from the stock bike.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SPEED/POWER

IF you need to go 140MPH then just keep adding on the stuff...if you don't then adding on from the stock 15/45 sprockets then go with a new 15 and go with a 48 rear sprocket...the kew word here is rocket. Get some decent tires or you'll be power sliding and smoking the tires when yoyu crank the throttle. you will still be able to exceed any posted MPH MAXIMUM Speed LIMIT sign and still be able to cruise with the bike without overheating it. Gas mileage will suffer with all of the changes...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: SPEED/POWER

ZX-2R said:
IF you need to go 140MPH then just keep adding on the stuff...if you don't then adding on from the stock 15/45 sprockets then go with a new 15 and go with a 48 rear sprocket...the kew word here is rocket. Get some decent tires or you'll be power sliding and smoking the tires when yoyu crank the throttle. you will still be able to exceed any posted MPH MAXIMUM Speed LIMIT sign and still be able to cruise with the bike without overheating it. Gas mileage will suffer with all of the changes...
Its getting near time for me to go with a 14 front and a 42 rear. (stock ex500 is 15/41 after 94 and before 94 its 15/42.) I figure I can still hit 120 that way and have a lot less time to get there with that sprocket change. I have gone over 120 like 4 times and its still scary, I'd much rather be able to get up to 115-120 a lot quicker and lose those 20mph top end.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Exactly the Idea

I'm mostly on US Highways so My max is about 55MPH out here. On the 250 stock 15/42, I plan on changing to 15/45, maybe even a little more, depending upon how much I still have left over in speed. IF I can find sticky tires, really sticky ones then I'll be set. EMA wants $1600 for a pair of 17" custom wheels for the Ninja250R, but htaa t would allow me to run some serious sticky and lower profile tires...less MoI, gyroscopic action...and give me some ROCKET power for some serious riding. Our roads are set up out here rolling tossing turning tight corners...anythig cross ouuntry and I can change the countershaft sprocket quickly. Getting smaller on the front sprocket is a quick fix, but making your chain go that tight in a circle is tough on it. Guess time will tell...meanwhile I'm looking at a new seat...Corbin will custom make me one, IF I cone out to CA and wait for it, and ther are other things that I'm working on as well...ie windscreens and different fairings...wind resistance...measurements...

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you're getting new rims you want the least amount of weight. Also you want the rim to be the lightest part. The more weight you get farther from the center the more your MoI goes up, and the harder the wheel is to get moving and get stopped.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RIMS/TIRES

Going with a lower profile tire is actually cheaper than and will probably create less MoI because the tire isn't out there at it's normal profile///or distande from the center of the radius. Go with the same size, or a squeek wider but the lowest profile that you can put on...then come back to the FORUM and try to use lower case letters!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
ekinnee said:
Woohoo! Tomorrow is Saturday, time to install the clip-ons. I'll get pics of the install up.
i'm definately waiting for your results, cause I wanna do clip on's too :wink:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts