Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m having misgivings about changing my stock pipes to HK Kickers. I bought the pipes from a guy for $100 and they’ve been sitting in my garage for over a week while I shopped for new tools.

While the pipes sat I perused the web for info. I actually found one post, not on this site, that claimed my bike would “NEVER run right again” if I changed out the stock pipes. That got me a little worried to say the least.

Now I know that people change their pipes all the time. I’ve seen the cool looking pics on this site. But I started asking myself why I wanted to screw with my bike to begin with.
I’m not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, so I don’t know if I’m just being paranoid.
:frown:

·
Super Moderator
10,836 Posts
It's no big deal to change pipes, and it won't screw your bike up. Before you start the job make sure you have a pair of new exhaust gaskets. They're about $3/pr. at your local Kawi dealer. Then put the pipes on. You'll be glad you did!

And why not hedge your bets? Get two pairs of gaskets "just in case". You can always sell the 2nd set later....

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's not changing the pipes that will make the bike run bad.When you change the air box then you need to rejet and that can take some fine tuning.If you just want noise de-baffle those stock pipes, they soud great.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Changing the pipes will not make the bike run "bad". That is horsecrap designed to get you to change the air intake system. You only need to rejet if you open the intake up. I had it explained once its like putting duct tape on your mouth and your but...pull the tape off your but and its no big deal because you can't eat more.. pull it off your mouth and you can eat more...better pull it off your but so you can take advantage of the bigger intake. Until you open the intake the pipes just look better and sound better. If you let the dealer do the air intake most likely they will screw it up. follow the advice on here and it should be fine. Now get out in the garage and slap them pipes on and post some pics!

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got 'em on. It took about 2 hours...with 20 minutes of me driving to the store to get two washers I needed for the adapter. The only real problem is I didn't wait for my new gaskets to come in...so I have leakage. I figured I could test the pipes, then put the new gaskets on when they arrive. The other thing is I can't get my torque wrench in there to tighten the cylinder head bolts. :frown: So it could be that they're just not tight enough. I didn't want to overdo it without the proper torque. Once I get the gaskets I'll put those on, then prob. ride over to the shop and have the dealer torque the bolts down.

One other thing...these suckers are LOUD. I'm not sure I'm that happy with the sound. I wanted low rumble, but I guess that's not possible with an 800.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. The work part was actually very simple. I had to use my wife's nimble fingers to help me on some of the bolts, but it's really an easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
WHo ever posted that comment is a DeDeDe!
Changing the pipes on a bike is no more a big deal then doing a cat-back system on a cager.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well managed to get my hex bolt in there a little better and tighten things down. I went very easy on the twist, hopefully didn't damage anything. Anyway, seems to have stopped the leakage!

I'll still take her to the shop to have her properly torqued. I need to upgrade my tools...again!

Going to take her out now and see how she rides.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
WHo ever posted that comment is a DeDeDe!
Changing the pipes on a bike is no more a big deal then doing a cat-back system on a cager.
Probably easier! :biggrin:

(cat-converter bolts always seem to be rusted on solid!:mad: )

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Duct tape on my butt?................No way man.

·
Super Moderator
10,836 Posts
Well I got 'em on. It took about 2 hours...with 20 minutes of me driving to the store to get two washers I needed for the adapter. The only real problem is I didn't wait for my new gaskets to come in...so I have leakage. I figured I could test the pipes, then put the new gaskets on when they arrive. The other thing is I can't get my torque wrench in there to tighten the cylinder head bolts. :frown: So it could be that they're just not tight enough. I didn't want to overdo it without the proper torque. Once I get the gaskets I'll put those on, then prob. ride over to the shop and have the dealer torque the bolts down.

One other thing...these suckers are LOUD. I'm not sure I'm that happy with the sound. I wanted low rumble, but I guess that's not possible with an 800.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. The work part was actually very simple. I had to use my wife's nimble fingers to help me on some of the bolts, but it's really an easy job.
Well managed to get my hex bolt in there a little better and tighten things down. I went very easy on the twist, hopefully didn't damage anything. Anyway, seems to have stopped the leakage!

I'll still take her to the shop to have her properly torqued. I need to upgrade my tools...again!

Going to take her out now and see how she rides.
Whew...I may need some earplugs! My buddy says they sound great, and my wife likes 'em too. I guess I'll keep them on for a while. I may try and get some tapered pipes or something quieter in the spring when I get some more $$.

For $100, not too bad. 8)
Glad to see you went ahead and did it. Even on the 1500 there was 1 nut that was a PITA to tighten. Enjoy the ride and do a search on marbling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whew...I may need some earplugs! My buddy says they sound great, and my wife likes 'em too. I guess I'll keep them on for a while. I may try and get some tapered pipes or something quieter in the spring when I get some more $$.

For $100, not too bad. 8)
Well if you ever wanna get your money back for them give me a shout @ [email protected]

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
do what now?

I'll still take her to the shop to have her properly torqued.

Is it not possible to get to the bolt with an extension on the socket?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts