Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my exhaust off to change the rear seal. While i have it off i would like to clean up those hard to reach places. The rust is really bad on the curve on the engine side. The rest of the exhaust is in pretty good shape. Does high temp chrome paint work? Would hate to ruin what i have. Thought about just painting the pipes black and leaving the rest chrome? 79 kz1000. Too far gone for aluminum and coke.Tips tricks or help would be appreciated.

·
1982 KZ750 E3
29 Posts
Personally, I wouldnt use anything but "Blue Job" on your pipes. It is amazing stuff and will take of the blue and the gold. As for the rust at the top, my suggestion would be to use the mildest steel wool you can find then finish it of with elbow grease and Blue Job. I ironically I was planning on doing the same thing to my 82 KZ750 today and I plan on doing the same method to my pipes. I have already removed the yellowing and the header looks like I just bought it. Blue Job is a little pricey, but, its so good I personally would pay 3x what I gave for it to get it.
Hope it works out for you.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
You may be pleasantly surprised how much surface rust NEVR-DULL will remove.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for all the tips. Had blue job already in the garage. Ended up using a wire wheel on the drill to take the big stuff off. Then elbow grease. They look 100 times better. Thx all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for all the tips. Had blue job already in the garage. Ended up using a wire wheel on the drill to take the big stuff off. Then elbow grease. They look 100 times better. Thx all.
Boy somedays it never ends with old bikes. When i went to put the exhaust back on the head i noticed a crack in the flange on the exhaust. Now it blows exhaust out of the crack. Needless to say the pipe is at the welders right now. Hope to have it back tomorrow. Then a little grinding and see if it worked. Cross your fingers because I want to keep it as original as I can. I had a little tick before this so I'm hoping it was exhaust escaping and not valve chatter. Never adjusted valves before so this should be a treat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts