Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short time ago I found a US Ebay merchant who was selling exhausts (whole system not just mufflers) for my bike. Could someone help? The current unidentified 2:1 effort that someone in the past fitted seems to have blown a hole around a gasket, I will find out tomorrow sometime. Primarily I want an exhaust that will accommodate a centre stand. It's not so crucial now as I hope the new x-ring chain won't need so much adjustment.

Is cleaning the starter motor a difficult process? It seems to miss, or not engage, if that makes sense, a lot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The starter issue is common on my 79 kz750 twin, cleaning hasnt helped the starting process but then mine might just be worn out. DennisKirk.com sells a nic chrome 2-to-1 exhaust, sounds great as well. I made mine from the existing exhaust and a harley sportster muffler.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Look for someone that sells Mac exhaust and ships internationally, Mac makes both 2 into 1 and 2 into 2 exhaust systems for the 750 twin. I've never tried the 2 into 2, but I had the 2 into 1 and kept the centerstand.

Sounds like a starter clutch cleaning/rebuild is in order. It's located behind the left front engine cover and behind the alternator rotor. You can use the rear axle to pop the rotor off.

Remove left foot peg, shift lever, sprocket cover, then alternator cover to get access to it.

If you don't have a manual go to THE KAWASAKI TWIN OWNERS FORUM :: Index and look for posts by Biquetoast, there's a link in his sig to a downloadable manual. That's the 750 twin site also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the name. I might try one or two places locally that recondition starters. It will usually start at the third press at worst, but the sound of it missing and other odd noises beforehand, don't sound pretty.

edit: found something in a few seconds. A nicely designed site is a good thing that makes me happy.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
not likely a starter issue. Most likely the starter clutch. Mine did the same and upon investigation was merely loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts