Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a few mods getting ready for a trip down to the dragons tail in Tenn. Yesterday put on new Kuryakyn ISO grips, can't believe how just a set of grips change the look of the bike. And I was having trouble with my thumb on my throttle hand going numb so I thought I would give these a try. The next mod is going to be an exhaust system. My wife likes the look of the stock exhaust but I want a little more sound nothing ear shattering but a nice rumble. I am looking at the Roadhouse classic 2 into 1 and the Vance and Hines slash cut staggereds. I've read that the Roadhouses will give you more power but I am affraid that they won't look right with the saddlebags I have on the bike. The vance and hines I'm affraid will be too loud. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've listened to sound clips and you really can't tell good enough. Thanks for anyone one that might have either of these setups on a vulcan 900 custom mine is an 08

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
If you like 2-1, I had the Cobra 2-1s and I didn't think they were too loud at all. If you want to get an Idea of how they look hear ya go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am doing a few mods getting ready for a trip down to the dragons tail in Tenn. Yesterday put on new Kuryakyn ISO grips, can't believe how just a set of grips change the look of the bike. And I was having trouble with my thumb on my throttle hand going numb so I thought I would give these a try. The next mod is going to be an exhaust system. My wife likes the look of the stock exhaust but I want a little more sound nothing ear shattering but a nice rumble. I am looking at the Roadhouse classic 2 into 1 and the Vance and Hines slash cut staggereds. I've read that the Roadhouses will give you more power but I am affraid that they won't look right with the saddlebags I have on the bike. The vance and hines I'm affraid will be too loud. Does anyone have any suggestions. I've listened to sound clips and you really can't tell good enough. Thanks for anyone one that might have either of these setups on a vulcan 900 custom mine is an 08
Take out the pop rivets on the end of your exhaust, then drill 8- 3/8" or 1/2" holes around the baffle. I did this to my wife's 900, and it has a great sound, and didn't cost anything to do.
Kraz~

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
The V&H slash cut staggerds aren't too loud.
not compared to my Cobra Shorts anyway.

i think you can get an aftermarket baffle for them too.

But the V&H are the closest to the original stock 'look'.

all aftermarket pipes will give you a very slight (1-2bhp) increase in power, but i doubt you'll notice it too much. It's just for the sound and look really.

If you put on an airkit as well, and a fuel controller, then you'll notice a power increase, but it'll still only be about 3-4bhp. So not a Moto GP winning difference ;) but it's a 900cc cruiser, so don't expect huge gains

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,225 Posts
I have the V&H slash cut staggerds and I love them. They have the same look as stock. They sound much better. They were a little loud for me but I bought after market baffles which toned them done a bit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have read missed opinions on if you need a fuel controller or not. Did you put a fuel controller on your bike and did you marble it to get rid of back firing? I have the pipes in the garage just waiting for my exhaust gaskets from the local bike shop. Got the pipes in two days and have to wait 5 to 7 business days for the gaskets what a bummer. Do you think the new gaskets are necessary.

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
I have read missed opinions on if you need a fuel controller or not. Did you put a fuel controller on your bike and did you marble it to get rid of back firing? I have the pipes in the garage just waiting for my exhaust gaskets from the local bike shop. Got the pipes in two days and have to wait 5 to 7 business days for the gaskets what a bummer. Do you think the new gaskets are necessary.
If you just go pipes you don't need one.

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
If you're happy with the look of the stocks, why not just debaffle? Cheap, easy, GREAT sound! Rumble without the "too loud". :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you're happy with the look of the stocks, why not just debaffle? Cheap, easy, GREAT sound! Rumble without the "too loud". :)
True! IMHO I had the debafffled and holes in screen method for a while and it was nice sounding and it was certainly cheap. My HK's fell in my lap so I couldn't say no!

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
OH MY!!!! Love it!

What did it cost you and where did you get it???

Love the mean look. Did you get a boost (Noticeable in HP?

BDV
Got it from Phat Performance Parts - Great Parts, Great Prices, Great Service, Great Website I don't remember the exact cost but it was two and change with the bracket you need. I want to say it gave me some more power I really don't know for sure. I simply put it on for looks. The 900 is plenty powerful enough for my riding style.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was what I was going to do but when I went to cut the exhaust end with the sawsall it kept jumping out and scratched the hell out of my muffler. So I went ahead and bought the vance and hines which is kind of what i wanted from the get go so it wasn't so bad (don't tell the wife). I don't see how everybody cuts them off without the saw jumping out all I could figure is that maybe my saw had to long of a stroke and kept hitting the back of the muffler and causing this.

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
If you like 2-1, I had the Cobra 2-1s and I didn't think they were too loud at all. If you want to get an Idea of how they look hear ya go.
I really like those pipes. The lines are nice and clean. Just, that I want them in black for my SE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts