Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself an unused 2001 ZX6 and am interested in getting a new exhaust system. I have done some research and noticed that the Vance & Hines SS2-R is the only one I am finding for my bike. The price is $459 for the full system. Does this mean that I would have to buy 2 sets since my bike has 2 pipes? Or Would I just replace 1 and leave the other side with no pipe? I would appreciate any info. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The full system is going to be a 4 to 1. So you'd have 4 headers coming out and merge into 1 pipe and into one muffler, the SSR2 systems are very sweet, you'll get plenty of power and a great sound. You'll need to rejet or remap the FI, I'm not sure if that year model is fuel injected or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info freakin'. I'm very new to riding and don't know much about how to make my bike better. I guess your response implies that I would buy one set and that in place of having 2 pipes (4 into 2?) I would have 1 pipe (4 into 1?). I guess I'll have to do some more research. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
usually the pipes go 4 into 2 and 2 into 1, but 4 to 1 is a little simpler. When you do a full exhaust system it is recommended to do K&N air filters (pods or replacement filter) and then you have to get your fuel management correct. You'll rejet if you have carbs (bigger main jets, adjustable needles and float height.) or if you bike is fuel injected you'll hook a computer programmer thingy up to it and remap the fuel injection. Somebody whos remaped their FI before should be able to explain it better than me. All I have is good 'ol carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts