Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys use to plug the exhaust for winter storage?

i still have my stock exhaust on the custom so the hole is fairly small, but about everything i can think to stick in there a mouse could easily tear up and probably use for bedding. Im not really concerned as i have lived in this house my entire life (i took over my dads house this year when he passed) and the only time i can ever remember having a mouse in the house was when i was about 6 and the cat brought one in that he found God knows where.

thanks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I don't have to do the storage thing, but I do know people just use old towels to stuff in the exhaust but the mouse can use that too I guess. Possibly make yourself some plastic plugs with a chain attached through a hole to yank them out? just a thought

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Plugging the exhaust is something I had never heard of before.

Would there be a concern for condensation build-up inside the pipes?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Check the local offroad dealership. They sell rubber plugs that are tapered and will fit MOST pipes... they do have two sizes, and the smallest won't fit the stock muffler for the Yamaha WR250F... but it IS a 250 single... I suspect it would work for a 900 or larger. The large size is for full racing pipes... would probably work for aftermarket cruiser pipes.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plugging the exhaust is something I had never heard of before.

Would there be a concern for condensation build-up inside the pipes?

:shock: i never really thought about it, just heard its a good ide to plug em so critter dont build homes....

Thanks for advice guys!

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
I put the heavy plastic freezer bags, one on each, rolled them around the pipe, then put a couple of plastic wire ties together and pulled them up tight! Worked great last year, will do the same this year. Bike is in the garage.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you shouldn't do the plugging, just never heard of it before. There must be some logic behind it ... bike being exposed to lots of moisture, critters looking for a home or maybe kids stuffing items into the exhaust?

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you shouldn't do the plugging, just never heard of it before. There must be some logic behind it ... bike being exposed to lots of moisture, critters looking for a home or maybe kids stuffing items into the exhaust?
Ken,
When mine goes up for the winter, it's up. Off the floor, on stands. Being close to Lake Erie and the Canadian border, we get some very crazy weather and temp. changes. Yes, lots of moisture. I cover mine the following week after putting her away. That way, everything's the same temp. (I also remember my Z900, that was ridden every day that the roads were dry. Don't even remember doing an oil change. Never any worse for wear.) Don't know if it really does any good or not. I do know that I resist any urge to take her down for a short blast. I go play golf on those rare winter occasions instead.
Jack

·
Registered
710 Posts
Maybe a potato. When you forget about having put it there and start it up in the spring it might sound like a Harley.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.