Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my Sarachu exhaust today and put it on. Fits perfectly!!

I took the bike out for a ride afterwards and notice for one its SUPER loud. Second thing I noticed which I didn't like as much was when not on the throttle and slowing down it would POP alot all the way down the rpm range.

Is that normal?? Sounds like unburnt gas. Doesn't make sence because its just a slip on and it shouldn't affect the bike... I thought anyways.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
That is typically normal. Any aftermarket pipes usually have this effect.

Its an after-fire. Generally caused by the engine being lean, but popping on decel isn't particularly bad. It just depends on the level of noise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying just by adding slip ons my engine if running lean? if thats the case isn't that bad?

should i just leave it as is?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
d0hnj0e said:
so your saying just by adding slip ons my engine if running lean? if thats the case isn't that bad?

should i just leave it as is?
You could tweak the carbs a bit to richen the mixture up. but if the popping isn't very loud I would't mess with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the bike is running to much gas and it not burning causing the pops. right? Basically its not damaging to the bike? Is that correct?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
d0hnj0e said:
so the bike is running to much gas and it not burning causing the pops. right? Basically its not damaging to the bike? Is that correct?
at the moment the bike is running too little gas. its just not enough to make a difference on performance, but when you open up the exhaust it has a major tendency to make that popping noise with the throttle chopped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is happening is your new exhuast with its non restricted flow is actually evacuating more efficiently . So when you close the throttle , especially at higher rpm , the fuel / air mixture is significantly rich existing the engine , the new exhuast is drawing fresh air in through the can ( backwards ) the two mix and create a fuel / air ratio that is capable of burning ( due to exhuast temperature ) thus the popping ! No it's not hurting the engine , it's just most annoying to listen to .

·
Registered
163 Posts
The EX500 has an air injection system which dumps air into the exhaust port during deceleration to burn extra fuel in the exhaust system thus reducing emissions. You can see this system by removing the gas tank and looking at the large tubes coming off the top of the valve cover (one per side) forking out to go into a tube feeding air from the air cleaner.

You can't hear the extra burn going on (pop noise) with the stock exhaust system because it's so quiet and the header tubes are thick. You can purchase an air injection elimination kit which is nothing more than caps for the fittings on the top of the valve cover. Remove the plumbing, cap the ports, and no more popping through the exhaust. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts