Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
S.Wales UK
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exhaust removal help

i was just wondering if there was a "how to" on removing the stock exhaust and replace with a V&H slashcuts staggered?

i have tried the search option with no luck.....

i bought the V&H for my girlfriends VN900 Classic, i get to have her stock pipes to debaffle for my VN900 custom :)

Any help would be great

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I did a post on how to do it to Cobras, I would assume V&H are similar.
Exhaust changes are pretty simple.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just put a set of V&H on my Nomad. Their instructions were actually very good. I had the old exhaust off in about 10 minutes. Installation would have taken about an hour, but I had to deburr the inside of the muffler to get it to fit correctly into the exhaust pipe. It's pretty common from what I've read, and my Dremel did the trick.

You can find their instructions right on the Vance and Hines website.

·
S.Wales UK
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ty for your advice, its just i've never done any exhaust removal befor and while i now got V&H instructions i was hoping for a lot more detail, i guess i'll have to muddle through. i'll take some pics along the way and post them when i'm done.

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts
You'll do fine. If I'm doing something the first time I take pics of every stage to help me remember where the bolts go so that I can work backwards if need be.

One thing: if your bike is not new, get replacement crush gaskets from your local dealer or order them from a place like cruisercustomizing.com. These are the two copper rings that are connected at the cylinder heads which you need to put back on your bike with the new exhaust.
Part Number: CC-EXG at cruiser customizing. this will stop any exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Definitely change the gaskets while you have the pipes off. Exhaust removal is very easy. I never did it before either, and the V&H instructions were very good. I had to remove my saddle bags (2 minutes), remove the left muffler (2 minute), remove the bolts for the goats belly (1 minute) and remove the nuts at the exhaust header (2 minutes) and remove the right muffler bolts (1 minute). Remaining 2 minutes was me moving from one side of the bike to the other and back a few times. 10 minutes. After it's off and your staring at your bike, you'll say "yeah, that was easy".

·
Every dog has it's day...
1,113 Posts
Seems like a pretty easy deal to get everything off... on a 1500 do you have to seperate the goat's belly or can you just take it off all as one piece?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts