Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600. I'm looking at either the Vance and Hines Big shots or the Hard Krome 3inch Big Straights.
Anyone have any advice, The Vance and Hines are about $175 cheaper. I'm not worried about price, I'm looking for quality and something that sounds good.

·
Can't Go Slow
101 Posts
I have a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600. I'm looking at either the Vance and Hines Big shots or the Hard Krome 3inch Big Straights.
Anyone have any advice, The Vance and Hines are about $175 cheaper. I'm not worried about price, I'm looking for quality and something that sounds good.
I've got the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights on mine and love em. The sound is great, IMO. They are a bit more expensive, but the heat shields are welded on so each pipe is a single piece, no clamping, etc for the shields.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have read a number of threads that say V&H's chrome is not top of the line. I have V&H Straight Shots on my 1500 (got them used off e-Bay) and the chrome was peeling on them when I got them. They are "black" now.

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
The previous owner put them on my 04 in 05. I had the bike all this summer. I like them and no problem with the chrome.

I liked them loud - trying to be a better neighbor, I added the baffles. Either way they sound good - but different. I don't know if the other pipes are better, but the V and H have been solid in my experience and the other baffle option is nice.

That said, taking off the shields to replace the baffles is a pain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the vance and hines. They were too loud for me with the baffels that came with them but I bought the quiet baffels and very happy with the sound. You have to remove the pipes to change the baffels but after you have the ones you like you won't be taking them off again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
pipes

I've got the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights also love the looks & sound there some big sexy pipes,but both pipes have cracked right by the welds on the brackets where the mount towards the rear. I was out riding one day & stoped to get gas & noticed a small crack on bottom pipe.I barly made it home the crack almost went around the whole pipe & had to take it off & have a guy at work weld it.Top pipe also has a small crack in same spot. In the process of working with DG Hard Krome & getting a run around from them at this time, if they dont hook me up I'am I will go with V&H Bigshots. Has anyones else had this happen with Hard Krome? Cant see spending that kind of $$$ again for them to crack again.

·
Stones
15 Posts
I've got the Hard Krome 3" Big Straights also love the looks & sound there some big sexy pipes,but both pipes have cracked right by the welds on the brackets where the mount towards the rear. I was out riding one day & stoped to get gas & noticed a small crack on bottom pipe.I barly made it home the crack almost went around the whole pipe & had to take it off & have a guy at work weld it.Top pipe also has a small crack in same spot. In the process of working with DG Hard Krome & getting a run around from them at this time, if they dont hook me up I'am I will go with V&H Bigshots. Has anyones else had this happen with Hard Krome? Cant see spending that kind of $$$ again for them to crack again.

I had the same thing happen with V&H Straight Shots. Company would not do a thing. Crack went about 300deg. on the front pipe about 3" from head.

Good Luck

·
Ride it! 100% Poser
234 Posts
Have the V&H slash cut dual baggers on my Nomad. No probs with these pipes in 15,000 miles. No shields loose or missing, no cracks. sound is great, has interchangable baffles, easy to get in and out (one bolt). I think there is bad luck with any brand at times, and instalation can play a part in how they last or hold up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went through this about 5 months ago. I searched and found that hc had trouble with cracks, on here is the first I heard about the chrome on vh.
I got the big shots and love them a little loud but not bad.

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
I have a 900 but have the HK strippers and the are great so far.Very good sound but seem to be easy to scratch or mar up.I e-mailed them about this but no answer of course.No other problems than this though.These suckers are LOUD!!!!!!!!!!

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
When I purchased my Vn900 it already had a pair of Cobra Slash downs (I think thats what they are called), dang sometimers!
They were very LOUD. I opted to install a pair of Hard Chrom baffels behind the stock baffels. They are still loud,, but a lot easier to live with.

Now when I was 19,, that amount of noise would have sounded really COOL! :)

The Chrome and finish on the pipes is great! just a slight scrape where SOMEONE took a corner way toooo fast! :) But that of course was before I took possession of the bike :)

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I have the V&H Big Shotties on my Meanie. Bought em used, and I've put another 15k miles on em and they still look good as new. I did put the V&H Quiet Baffles in em to be nice to my neighbors. They sound excellent.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
DO NOT BUY HK 3" Big Straights. I had them on my 1600 and they are the pipes-from-hell. Both pipes cracked numerous times, quality sucks, way TOO LOUD and (sorry guys) they will make your 1600 sound like a John Deere tractor. Thing I love the most about selling my 1600 is that I no longer have to listen to these dreadful pipes. Just my 2 cents from living with them for 50,000+ miles. There is "good loud" and "Bad loud", these pipes suck!

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I have HK 3" Staggered Straights on my Meanie and absolutely love them. Haven't had any issues with the pipes cracking, but everyones luck is different.

They sound great (to me), but can get quite loud when you crack the throttle.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Have the V&H slash cut dual baggers on my Nomad. No probs with these pipes in 15,000 miles. No shields loose or missing, no cracks. sound is great, has interchangable baffles, easy to get in and out (one bolt). I think there is bad luck with any brand at times, and instalation can play a part in how they last or hold up.
+1

That being said, I love my Cobra Speedster Slashdowns on my 900 Custom. I may get the quiet baffles this next season...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.