Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...mechanical background.

I am changing the brakes on my 1990 ZX750f for the first time. I have always "had it done" before. I have pulled my old pads, but am not sure how to release the calipers to install the new, obviously thicker, pads.

I know this is ridiculous. I should be embarrassed, but I have spent my years riding. The only mechanical ventures in which I have engaged are oil changes and things of that nature. Please, help me out.

I considered loosening the little bolt nn the back of the brakes, where the brake cable connects, but thought it would be foolish to do so without being sure it is the right move.

By the way, as a compulsive forumer, I look forward to familiarizing myself with these. Look forward to making everyones' acquaintance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome..
Remove one caliper at a time by undoing the two mounting bolts but LEAVE THE BRAKE HOSE ATTACHED.
Remove the pads in that caliper then leaver the pistons back into the caliper gently, They can be a bit fiddly and you sometimes need four hands but be patient.
Leave the resevoir top on as the displaced fluid going back into the resevoir will spill out, Just keep an eye on the level..if it gets near the top, Stop unscrew the cap and remove some fluid then cap back on and carry on.

When the pistons are back fit new pads, Caliper back on and done up, Then work the brake lever until the pistons push the pads home on the discs....You will feel the lever come back when the pads are home, First caliper done..

Repeat for the other side, When you've done that one check the fluid level and adjust it so it is near the top line on the resevoir..

I always clean up the caliper surfaces where the pads contact and apply a smear of Copper grease to ease movement in use.

Good luck :p :p :p

If you intend to do some basic maintainance i would get a manual it's all in there.. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, man. I know I should pick one up. It would have been great if the previous owner had still had one. No use crying over spilt milk, I'll be looking on Ebay.

Thanks again. *runs outside*

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NOT Ebay...

Purchase it from our Fourm SPONSOR to keep this FORUM for all of us...you won't pay much more than you would on Ebay, and you make all of us happy keeping us together...just point and click (Discounts Kawasaki Parts & Accessories) at the top of this page or call Beartooth Kawasaki 1-800 556-3098...they already have a discount price for those of us on the Forum.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
twowheelertoy said:
Remove one caliper at a time by undoing the two mounting bolts but LEAVE THE BRAKE HOSE ATTACHED.

Would just like to add the following, using wire ( coat hanger?, stiff electrical wire or other ) or string, hang the caliper from something other than the hose itself in order to avoid potential problems.

·
Registered
456 Posts
236260 said:
. . . am not sure how to release the calipers to install the new, obviously thicker, pads.
I've never had to change brake pads on my bike, but on a car a big C clamp makes the job super easy. Just clamp the caliper, then tighten the clamp and the piston moves back like magic. If the piston is loose enough, a big pair of channel-locks can do it, but the C clamp works like you wouldn't believe.

And Uncle Bob's suggestion to use a coat hanger to hold up the caliper so you don't put any pressure on the hose is another super handy secret. I've done it many times.

And like twowheelertoy said, keep an eye on your brake fluid level when you squeeze the caliper. It can overflow. If it does, it will drip onto your paint and eat it off like paint remover. Keep a rag and some soap handy in case you spill.
Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts