Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have 81 kdx 175 it has compression, good blue spark, no explosion.the muffler is off and air box is off tried starting fluid no love still .the stator is matched right on the mark would this a be a timing issue? any clue please help.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if it didnt fire off starter fluid then its NOT a fuel problem... so yes you will need to start looking at other possibilities...
timing
tight valves (my first guess)
weak spark under compression
fouled plugs

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
no valves on this and like a said bright blue spark.
oopppsss brain fart... lol :mrgreen: under compression you can loose that bright blue spark.... but anyways......... have ya done a real compression test with a compression gauge (your thumb DOES NOT COUNT)... whats it read ? if its low then it wont matter if you have gas,air,spark cause it WONT START...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the gauge i got is crap it did ready low 60 so i found that if u put a little oil in there then do test again is suppose to tell u if u need rings. anyway put oil in and i couldnt even kick it was that tight i worked it out got to 60 and after 30 more kicks it got to 90 so i dont trust that gauge i figure if i throw so oil in and starting fluid it kick it i should here a pop at least not the case? so how would i find out if spark is not happening under compression?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
yep hold throttle open and kick 10 fast/hard kicks till guage stops..... if its under 100psi its done on top.....

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
reeds make no difference since all ports (intake/exhaust/transfer) are closed off once compression starts...... if carb is off the its just like holding throttle wide open...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
until you do a GOOD compression check it wont matter whats going on.. if its still 90psi after testing with a good guage then the top end is done and it needs rebuilt.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well a little more fiddling with it today did the thumb test blew air by my finger i decided to play with the position o f the stator accident forgot the key and pop!! tried to get a different position with key in lo luck tried it again without the key and pop!! stator is a bit rusty, will this throw off my timing? or is it the icu or coil?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ok if you change the position of the stator you will change timing and it will never run correctly ..... also the thumb test does NOT count as a compression test... 10psi will push your thumb off.......
put the stator back where it belongs with a GOOD KEY... (make sure the key stays in the slot when you put the stator back on)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts