Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cost of parts an labor so high these days I'm considering the extended warrantee that will add four years for a total of five years of warrantee. the cost is about $600 with no mileage limit or deductable. It's good at any Kawasaki dealer anywhere. I purchased extended warrantees for my GMC trucks in the past and that has proven to be a good choice, motorcycles do have less stuff to go wrong. The purchase is an '08 Mean Streak that I'm picking up Tuesday. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
388 Posts
To each their own, depends on what your comfort factor is. I thought about it but decided not to as the stuff is built so well and you should know if any problems are going to arise within the original warranty period. You will be notified towards the end of your warranty about extending the original warranty. I was offered up to an extra 5 years for about $700 bucks.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If you already know that you are going to keep your bike for more than 4 years, I say get an extended warranty. Since fuel cost will go higher and higher, motorcycles are the way to go these days. That means one will be using the bike more often than just a leisure ride.

It is your call, but definitely a peace of mind having the warranty.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do plan on keeping the bike. I was told that I can get a rebate for the unused portion should I not. I guess it is a personal choice. Unexpected repairs are not going to break me like it would when I was younger.

What's the reliability of the electronics and the fuel injection system? If they need work what might the cost be? From what some here on the forum have written, minor work turns into hundreds of dollars very quick.

Also, can you work on the bikes of today yourself or do you need hundreds in special equipment? I had a Z1 in the 70's. I worked on it myself. It never had to be put in for repairs. It had float carbs and points for ignition. The valve rockers where set manually. The only special tools I remember was a timing light and a special wrench to adjust the valves.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I got the extra 4 years for a little under $400 from my Kawa dealer. $100/yr is very cheap IMO. I have never used one on a bike, but have on a car. Had the air conditioner go out twice on my wifes car. It would have cost over $1500 each time if I hadn't had the extended warranty. I plan on keeping the bike for a long time though. If you are one of those trade it in every year or so guys, I wouldn't get it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can purchase that same warranty from Kawasaki dealers on ebay for under $400.00. I bought one for my 900 and probably will buy one for my Nomad. I will pay about $350.00 for 4 years. Just look under GTPP or Good Time Protection Plans. Good Luck.
Carved is in my town - PENSACOLA! If you look at the warranties being sold on eBay (and other places)...Florida is specifically excluded!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I never purchase them myself. it's just legalized gambling though. I have an 01 1500 Classic that now has 52k miles on it. Never had one problem that it had to go back for either under warranty or not. I think with the dependability of bikes any more, the extended warranty isn't any more needed on my bike than on my car. I don't buy those either. :)

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark
I did notice that the plan was administered under GE capital. Do you have some experiance with this? Will it matter make a differance because I purchased the bike in Florida. The extended warrantees are for sale on eBay for $395.00

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
You can purchase that same warranty from Kawasaki dealers on ebay for under $400.00. I bought one for my 900 and probably will buy one for my Nomad. I will pay about $350.00 for 4 years. Just look under GTPP or Good Time Protection Plans. Good Luck.
Unfortunately, if you read through the ebay ads, they can't offer these deals to Florida residents.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
For the lower cost on ebay, I am going to get it. My bike is currently at the dealers for a repair that seems to be pretty serious. They think the cam bearrings are shot...or something like that....and they have to take the motor out to repair :eek: I can't imagine what that would cost me if it wasn't still under the original warranty. For peace of mind, I'm getting the extended warranty now!!!!! ;)

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
I bought one for my 900-
It's a Western Service concept plan. Covers basically everything that could be a problem later, cost was about 500 bucks. If I ever need it, it will pay for itself. If not, it was cheap peace of mind. It's also fully transferrable which is a bonus @ resale time.
Amortized over the miles you ride, the cost is minimal.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live 12 miles from Alabama but it might as well be 1200 sometimes. I made a comittment to purchase in good faith so I will not be looking to purchase in Alabama.

Could be time to move... Carson City Nevada appeals to me. Have you seen the roads there and around Lake Tahoe? We spend Christmas there and I just love the place. We drive to Kirkwood California (40 min drive) It is through two national forest and two mountain pass. I looked the area over on Google Earth and the region is plastered with potential rides. Never been in the Summer though, so I don't have a feel for the tourist population. Can't be too much worse than Florida.

Thanks to all for the advice. Picking up the bike Tuesday afternoon. I did get to see it out in the sunlight the other day and wow! The Candy Fire Red '08 color is breath taking. I originally wanted black which I love too. But black has become so common these days. I really wasn't sure until I saw it.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
For the lower cost on ebay, I am going to get it. My bike is currently at the dealers for a repair that seems to be pretty serious. They think the cam bearrings are shot...or something like that....and they have to take the motor out to repair :eek: I can't imagine what that would cost me if it wasn't still under the original warranty. For peace of mind, I'm getting the extended warranty now!!!!! ;)
Chaz must have beat the crap out of your bike before he gave it to you! :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts