Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be purchasing a new Nomad and want to get your thoughts on extended warranties. Are the worth the $$??

Thanks!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
ddpro153,

Welcome to the forum. Post a picture of you and your bike so we can meet you.

I don't think they are worth it. Everytime I had one, something else that wasn't covered broke. And what was cover waiting until after the warrenty expired. See what everyone else says on that.

Again Welcome...we have alot of fun up here.

Heather

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I bought an extended warranty when I purchased. At the time Iwasn't fully aware of the reliability of the vulcan line but still am glad I did just for the feeling of safety in case something goes wrong.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Personally I don't think there worth it. Never have bought one for anything I've owned an so far haven't had any problems with anything that an extended warranty would of fix anyway. If I rode a harley I would buy one only because after I spent $20,000 on the bike an accessories another $300 or $400 bucks wouldn't matter. Plus the harley's tend to need more maintance than other bike's. ( atleast from looking at there regular service schedule. As far as the nad goes buy the ex.warr. if you want but these kawi's are bullet proof. You can always buy the ex.warr. before the factory warr. run's out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
these things are so bullit proof that you dont need any hi priced extended warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
extended warranties

I have never bought anything that the extended warranty made sense but I bought my first motorcycle in 25 years last year. It was a Kawa 750 on ebay and had 2 years of extended warranty left on it. I needed the warranty to have a rear wheel hub seal fixed and the Kawa warranty includes everything the original warranty covers, with no deductable, so I picked up the bike with no charge at all. Also, if you plan to sell within 5 years I would get the extended warranty because it is great peace of mind to a buyer, and is worth more than the same bike without one, so the cost is partially paid back. That's my 2 cents worth. The Nomad I have now is a great bike. Got it on ebay also, but didn't have the warranty. The dealer that sold it thru ebay to me stood behind some issues I told them about and sent me a check to cover the repairs. That was really the same as warranty.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Extended warranties = insurance; so, how much do you want versus how much do you really need. Everyone has their own comfort zone around insurance so the same goes with extended warranties.
I personally agree with 'bud8fan', the Vulcan is so bullet-proof, you won't likely need an extended warranty. Figure that if there is a problem, it will show up in the first year. If it doesn't, then it is not likely to occur in the next few years when you will be paying for the extra coverage, assuming you take reasonable care of the machine, follow recommended maintenance intervals, etc.
Like motorcycle insurance, I rather keep the money and take the risk. I have basic liability and no extended warranty, on my bike, car, truck, toaster, vacuum cleaner, washing machine, TV, etc, etc.

But, to each his own. :wink:

T-man

·
Registered
302 Posts
extended warranty

Extended warranty in my opinion is a complete scam. The dealers (car,bike,whatever) have their sales people trained to "plant the seed" that you"may" need it. Most people are vulernable when making a large purchase wanting to cover their butts so they buy it. The money from extented warranty is PURE PROFIT for the dealer. In essence you are placing a bet with the dealer that your bike(that they sold you at retail!) will break. As in most games of chance the house almost always wins! And another downside to buying a 500+ dollar policy is that if you trade your bike they usually won't give but MAYBE 100 bucks back fo it( been there done that) Everybody want's one on a used bike but nobody want's to have to pay for it. Just my 2 cents.....................................
Lonestar

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought one with my Vulcan, at the urging of my girlfriend( she has always owned non Japanese cars and needed the extra warranty) which went against my belief that they are a waste of money on Japanese vehicles in general. I would say buy some accessories instead. Wish I had.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
warranty

i personally feel that they are a waste of money also, at least on a bike like a vulcan. i would say save the money and see how you feel before the factory warranty runs out. then, like woodchucks said, you can always purchase the extended before the factory runs out. if you decide at that point to purchase it, look on ebay, as i have seen good deals on extended warranties. good luck, you will enjoy the nomad, and probably never make a warranty call !!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i think they're a scam but if you really want one don't pay 800$ at the dealer when you buy the bike. he won't tell you this but you have up until the original warranty expires to buy it. When you get home, go on ebay and get the exact same warranty from a kawi dealer on-line for 400$ or so.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Read the warranty contract carefully. It says that Kawasaki will cover a repair if it is due to a manufacturer's defect. Sometimes, that is difficult to prove. They do not cover difficulties caused by aftermarket equipment unless it is authorized in writing by Kawasaki. For the prices, I feel it is way too expensive. On automobile extended warranties/service contracts, they cover everything except normal items. That is, as long as you buy the better contracts. All in all, I would doubt that for every dollar in premiums paid, no more than 15-20 cents is spent by the warranty issuer. I heard that a dealer sells these contracts real cheaply. If the prices is attractive enough, it may be worth a go.

http://www.fremontmotorsports.com/

Regards.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would just like to add that I have never needed the extended warranty.
But if you plan on selling the bike later on, it (the warranty) helps in getting top dollar for your bike. It just gives people a sense of security in buying a used bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts