Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

me again....just wondering about the extended warranty on this 900 vulcan classic...is it worth paying for it...or is the 1 year enough?

Also which is a good height for a windsheild for this bike? I'm 5'4.and dont want bugs in my face..lol

I'm looking at the memphis site for sheilds...so any help would be great .

you guys are going to be so sick of my by the time spring comes..lol

·
Registered
789 Posts
Laura, I purchased the extended warranty, this is the first time I have ever purchased one on anything. I did so because I know nothing about motorcycles but I do plan on keeping it a long time or at least as long as the warranty. 3yr.

I'm 6'1" and have the Memphis shades fats 19" I look over I believe they also have 17" and 21". There is debate and personal preference about looking through or seeing over windscreens. I purchased mine to deflect the wind and offer some protection from road debris I also wear a full face helmet plus my glasses I wish to protect my vision not obscure it so for me looking over seems the best.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Your height on a stock 900 - I would think the 17" would be just about right - especially on the QD mounts that allow for some height adjustment. Most believe that proper height is achieved when in normal sitting position, the bridge of your nose is parallel to the top of the windscreen (or so I've been told).

As for the extended warranty - I've got that same decision to make in the next 8 months...so I'm no help with that one!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
hi there,

me again....just wondering about the extended warranty on this 900 vulcan classic...is it worth paying for it...or is the 1 year enough?

Also which is a good height for a windsheild for this bike? I'm 5'4.and dont want bugs in my face..lol

I'm looking at the memphis site for sheilds...so any help would be great .

you guys are going to be so sick of my by the time spring comes..lol
Geez...are you back asking questions AGAIN??? :wink: :mrgreen:

the warranty thing is kind of a personal preference. I never buy them and even though they are transferrable, I don't view them as worth a whole lot when negotiating a price for a used one. From the perspective of the 900, I have not heard of many long-term problems with it, so I think the risk of problems is pretty low.

As for the shield, if you look at the ones from National Cycle, you can get them in different heights and widths. I would suggest getting a wider one, but for the height, sit on the bike and have someone measure it for you.

There are differences of opinion about whether you should be looking over or through the windshield. I have done both. I prefer looking over it. I have my height on my shield just high enough that I can see the liscense plate of the car in front of me at highway speed. You can do this in your driveway by sitting on your bike an appropriate distance behind your bike to get it where you like it.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
There are differences of opinion about whether you should be looking over or through the windshield.
My experience this morning demonstrates why I will always look over my shield. My morning commute goes through an area where I come off a good size hill into a low valley and up another good hill. This morning there was about a 15F difference in temperature between the warm hill tops (55F) and the valley (40F). Thus, my shield went from warm to cold to warm in a short period of time resulting in an incredible amout of fogging. Actually there was so much condensation that water was dripping off my mirrors. It was impossible to see thru the shield. Thankfully, I am able to look over the top. I have it set at nose level when in relaxed cruise mode and when I sit up straight it is at chin level and very easy to look over.

Just something for you to consider.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am waiting untill later in the year to decide on warranty, you have time to think about it.

I have the Memphis Fatts, no wind in my face or chest. Looks good also.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I always use the rule....if it has gas in it and I cannot work on it.... extended warranties are OK... ie, new car.(some have 10yr power train) ....not motorcycle or lawnmower...and certainly not any electronic disposable object (all of them) I believe you should be able to look over the windshield....so when/if it rains or such you can still see something

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Yup - Look over, not through.

Personally I can't get used to that which is why I still have not pulled the trigger on getting some glass.

·
got lost along the way
23,356 Posts
I'm up for the warrenty question, so that would be a question I'm gonna ask too
but on the 800. Any one got any opinions about that?

My windshield goes over my head, if I sit up really straight I can see over the top of it, but just. I like it that way, it really cuts down on the wind. Yet if necessary, I can see over it.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
There's a lot of folks that look through windshields while riding recliners...uh...I mean Goldwings. When I had mine set that way my only problem was that in some weather conditions it would fog up or be otherwise hard to see though. Depends on the weather you ride in, but I'm more comfortable looking over mine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I found the warranty was worth it after an electrical problem on my 900 Classic turned out to be a burnt out stator. I got a 4 year warranty from Freemont Motors off E-Bay for $350 which is less than what the stator replacement job would have cost. I wouldn't pay full price for the warranty but $350 isn't bad for four years of peace of mind.

I'm 6'5" and have the Memphis Fats 21" shield. I can look over it without a problem. Given your height I agree that the 17" might be best. I did find that I needed to add lowers to control for wind buffeting after I put the shield on. Good luck with your decisions.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hey CC-
I got the extended coverage thinking it would give me peace of mind if it gets cranky some miles down the road. For me, not having to worry about stuff blowing up is worth the price of admission. There are many options besides the Kawi plan. Check on ebay, you'll see plenty of them.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Geez...are you back asking questions AGAIN??? :wink: :mrgreen:

the warranty thing is kind of a personal preference. I never buy them and even though they are transferrable, I don't view them as worth a whole lot when negotiating a price for a used one. From the perspective of the 900, I have not heard of many long-term problems with it, so I think the risk of problems is pretty low.
As for the shield, if you look at the ones from National Cycle, you can get them in different heights and widths. I would suggest getting a wider one, but for the height, sit on the bike and have someone measure it for you.

There are differences of opinion about whether you should be looking over or through the windshield. I have done both. I prefer looking over it. I have my height on my shield just high enough that I can see the liscense plate of the car in front of me at highway speed. You can do this in your driveway by sitting on your bike an appropriate distance behind your bike to get it where you like it.

Hope this helps!
The 900 has only been out for just barely 2 years....many of the 900 owners have not yet racked up enough miles to determine whether or not there are any long term problems with it.
Then...how long is long term for a motorcycle and how many miles is long term.
I believe that 350.00 for an extended,unlimited miles 4 year warranty is well worth the money. These warranties can be purchased on E-bay(kawasaki good times warranties). I have the 900 Classic Lt (comes with 2 year warranty) and I plan on purchasing one of these warranties before my 2 years are up in May.

As for the windshield....I look thru it...but I can look over it when I need to like when fogged up or when too wet from road spray while riding in rain.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Got my 4 year warranty from Freemont Motors too...very good people to deal with. As for the windshield, look at the alley cat shield...I bet it would look good on your bike and be the right size for you.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
My experience this morning demonstrates why I will always look over my shield. My morning commute goes through an area where I come off a good size hill into a low valley and up another good hill. This morning there was about a 15F difference in temperature between the warm hill tops (55F) and the valley (40F). Thus, my shield went from warm to cold to warm in a short period of time resulting in an incredible amout of fogging. Actually there was so much condensation that water was dripping off my mirrors. It was impossible to see thru the shield. Thankfully, I am able to look over the top. I have it set at nose level when in relaxed cruise mode and when I sit up straight it is at chin level and very easy to look over..
+1 I have had the same thing happen to me. It is a good thing to be able to look over the windshield when you need to. Since the only defroster that we have is a washcloth.:mrgreen: As far as warranties go, I'm a nurse and not a mechanic. I can do simple things (without having too many parts left over), but if it is complex I would have to have someone else do it for me. I personally like the piece of mind. My 0.02.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If it doesn't have a wiper to get rid of the dew, you need to be able to see over it. That windshield will go opaque instantaneously leaving you blind of whats in front of you, NOT a good deal. When you go down the road the airflow deflected up by the windshield goes over your head anyways, it takes one heckuva big bug to actually hit your helmet even with your head exposed.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
If it doesn't have a wiper to get rid of the dew, you need to be able to see over it. That windshield will go opaque instantaneously leaving you blind of whats in front of you, NOT a good deal. When you go down the road the airflow deflected up by the windshield goes over your head anyways, it takes one heckuva big bug to actually hit your helmet even with your head exposed.
I agree with most of that, but I get hit from bugs on a fairly frequent basis. the other thing I worry about is rocks that get kicked up. I've been hit by a small pebble once.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Financial professionals would recommend an extended warranty for high end electronics. It's a waste of money for most everything else.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
The 900 has only been out for just barely 2 years....many of the 900 owners have not yet racked up enough miles to determine whether or not there are any long term problems with it.
Then...how long is long term for a motorcycle and how many miles is long term.
I believe that 350.00 for an extended,unlimited miles 4 year warranty is well worth the money. These warranties can be purchased on E-bay(kawasaki good times warranties). I have the 900 Classic Lt (comes with 2 year warranty) and I plan on purchasing one of these warranties before my 2 years are up in May.

As for the windshield....I look thru it...but I can look over it when I need to like when fogged up or when too wet from road spray while riding in rain.
I agree!!! The 900 is still a pretty new model! I have the LT, so I am still covered by warranty, but I am getting ready to purchase the extended through ebay as others here have suggested. I am having some kind of problem in my transmission that they can't pin point or fix yet. The $350 is worth the peace of mind to me!!!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got my 4-year extended warrantee from Freemont also. Decidedly cheaper than what my dealer offered and I like the idea of six years of coverage on my Custom.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts