Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another post on this and didn't get any response. I thought this title might be more appropriate. I just received an offer from Kawi to buy the GTPP. I've read the posts about buying on ebay and whether it's worth it. The thing I haven't seen a lot is the discussion of what it does or doesn't cover. The information provided by Kawi is pretty vague about this.

From the letter:
If a covered part or component fails due to a manufacturing defect, your authorized Kawi dealer will repair it*.
From the Terms:
EXCLUSIONS–ITEMS NOT COVERED
1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.
2. Rental product and product engaged in racing or competition.
3. Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance (iv) repairs improperly performed
or replacement parts improperly installed (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki specifi cations which adversely effect performance and/or durability;
(vi) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by the use of the
product.
4. Regular maintenance service, adjustments or replacement of expendable maintenance items as outlined in the Owner’s Manual, but not limited to: fi lters, spark plugs, brake shoes/
pads, impellers and intake grilles, mats and bumpers.
5. Damage resulting from use of non recommended lubricant and coolant or the lack thereof.
6. Belts, tires, cables, chains, sprockets, batteries, bulbs, audio equipment, accessories, cosmetic appearance, gel coat stress cracks, watercrafts hulls and handlepoles.
7. Damage as a result of sand, water, rust and/or rocks.
8. Damage as a result of excess load including occupants and/or cargo; tow loads in excess of maximum weights as specified in the Owner’s Manual.
9. Deterioration from the elements.
I'm just a little nervous about a few things. First the defect in materials or workmanship. I ride about 15K a year and it seems like this is an easy out for them to claim it's "normal wear" and not a defect if parts need to be replaced. I've seen some of the posts here about problems with the dealerships or Kawi covering things under warranty. It seems that to a great extent the dealership doing the work has a big influence on this.

The other things that trouble me are the exclusion for exceeding weight limits, mods not authorized by Kawi, and the environmental exclusions. I'm a big boy (read that FAT) and when I ride two up I could possibly be over the weight in the owners manual. My bike has plenty of "unauthorized" mods, and I live at the beach where sand and salt are a fact of life.

What has the experience been? Is Kawi likely to use these things to weasel out of paying claims?

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
IMHO, extended warranties are NOT worth it. Maintain your bike properly, and it'll give you years of trouble free riding. In all these years, I've never found that an extended warranty would have been worth it from cars to tv's etc etc. It's been my experience, that if anything is going to go wrong, it usually goes wrong within the brands' normal warranty time frame. After that, it's a 50/50 chance you take. However, you can get a lot of things repaired for less than what an extended warranty can sometimes cost you. Save your money and just enjoy your ride. If the bike is well maintained, and you have proof of that (by keeping all your maintainence receipts) then Kawi have no choice but to honor their new bike warranty within the time frame allowed. as you have already posted, reading the fine print of an extended warranty, on what NOT'S covered by an extended warranty, and you'll realize that not much is really covered at all when the time comes for you to make a claim. Manufacture warranty is all you really need, but that's just me.
Just my 2¢ worth ;) Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm coming up on the end of my trouble free 2 year warranty on the 900. The problem is I average 13K miles a year At that rate I'll have almost 80K on the bike by the time the extended warranty runs out. What I'm trying to find out is other peoples experience getting Kawi to honor the extended warranty. The $300 for the warranty isn't a big deal but if Kawi is gonna give me a fight about normal wear and tear, harsh riding conditions, not following the owners manual, then it really IS a waste. If they stand behind it then it's pretty good piece of mind.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm coming up on the end of my trouble free 2 year warranty on the 900. The problem is I average 13K miles a year At that rate I'll have almost 80K on the bike by the time the extended warranty runs out. What I'm trying to find out is other peoples experience getting Kawi to honor the extended warranty. The $300 for the warranty isn't a big deal but if Kawi is gonna give me a fight about normal wear and tear, harsh riding conditions, not following the owners manual, then it really IS a waste. If they stand behind it then it's pretty good piece of mind.

I can't answer that exactly...the dealership here does NOT do the extended warranty. They told me it's actually a rip off, doesn't cover enough and they let it overlap your 1 year warranty so basically you have 2 warranties running out at the same time. They offer a private party warranty for up to 5 years here, it's cheaper, covers a lot more and no overlaps. I've read the fine print, not sure if I'm even going to go with that but this is my first bike so I'll see how it goes. I have the full year of the manufacturer's warranty to decide. Possibly consider looking into the private warranty though...

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
IMHO, extended warranties are NOT worth it. Maintain your bike properly, and it'll give you years of trouble free riding. In all these years, I've never found that an extended warranty would have been worth it from cars to tv's etc etc. It's been my experience, that if anything is going to go wrong, it usually goes wrong within the brands' normal warranty time frame. After that, it's a 50/50 chance you take. However, you can get a lot of things repaired for less than what an extended warranty can sometimes cost you. Save your money and just enjoy your ride. If the bike is well maintained, and you have proof of that (by keeping all your maintainence receipts) then Kawi have no choice but to honor their new bike warranty within the time frame allowed. as you have already posted, reading the fine print of an extended warranty, on what NOT'S covered by an extended warranty, and you'll realize that not much is really covered at all when the time comes for you to make a claim. Manufacture warranty is all you really need, but that's just me.
Just my 2¢ worth ;) Good luck on whatever you decide.
I fully agree. I've only gotten an extended warranty on two things in my life. Both times, the warranties also had accidental damage coverage, which isn't normally covered:

- A professional tape deck I bought a couple of decades back since it was pretty expensive and had a lot of moving parts (along with dual auto-reverse mechanisms and a "dead space" finder to jump between tracks). With all the moving parts and sensors, it was good piece of mind. On the other hand, the deck still runs like a top to this day unlike a lot of the cheap crap I've bought since then.

- My first laptop since it was going to be bouncing around with me pretty much everywhere and, back then, a good laptop was over $2K. The warranty and accidental damage coverage included anything that could happen to it, including spilling coffee on it or breaking the screen. At one point, the motherboard developed a bad memory slot and they replaced the board in my home at no cost.

I don't see myself jumping on another extended warranty again since 1) most only cover certain manufacturer's defects (no accidental damage) and 2) most of that coverage (especially when you add in the extra damage coverage) becomes more expensive than repairing or replacing stuff yourself out of the normal warranty. Not only that, there are so many things not covered anymore that it's not likely to actually cover stuff that can go wrong. Bumper to bumper warranties seldom cover much more than the bumpers.

I've saved more than enough money over the years not buying that coverage that I'm well ahead of the repair game.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I get the extended warrenty on any vehicle that I have purchased. And so far it has paid for itself. My first truck had the AC die on it 2 weeks before a cross country trip. Paid the 100 dollar warranty deductable and got a 3500 dollar repair done.

Second vehicle and the one I still drive, had a bunch of issues will (no deal breakers) that have all been done under the extended warranty. Again, this has paid off for me.

Electronics, I used to get the extended warranty and have only ever had to use it once. My rear projection tv crapped out this year. still had warranty on it so I got it fixed.

With the miles you seem to put on your machine, I would go with the extended warranty. $300 doesn't sound too bad if it can get you something fixed with minimal fuss.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to get some feedback from folks that had actually tried to use the extended warranty. I ordinarily wouldn't spend the money on an extended warranty but with the miles I put on I'm considering it. My concern is that Kawi will exclude everything as not a manufacturing defect or due to excessive mileage. From other posts here Kawi seems to have a problem honoring the regular warranty let alone n extended one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased the 4 year warranty off ebay for $415.00 for my 07 nomad. November last year the rear air / fluid combo shock started loosing oil. $485.00 shock plus installation. All covered by the warranty. So I guess it was good for me.
I still have to August 2012 befor it runs out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased the 4 year warranty off ebay for $415.00 for my 07 nomad. November last year the rear air / fluid combo shock started loosing oil. $485.00 shock plus installation. All covered by the warranty. So I guess it was good for me.
I still have to August 2012 befor it runs out.
Thanks for that feedback. Can you tell me roughly how old the bike was and the mileage when this happened? Any problems getting them to honor the warranty or did they just fix it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The bike is a 2007 Nomad The shock failed at 7,800 miles. No dealer problems they were happy to be of service. I do my owne matience on the bike and it was not an issue either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts