Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we had 50 mph winds all day. When I was walking out to my car, I looked at where all the motorcycles are parked as I always do to see my friends Suzuki GS-500 laying on it's side. I always knew it could happen. Makes me glad my bike is at my house in a garage. :roll:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Freakinout said:
centerstands when its windy. they keep the bike waaaay more stable.
AMEN!!

THough...wind can also be found while doin' silly things..like passin' semi-trucks. Over the summer, I had the good fortune to blast up on a semi in the middle of the day, and he was *moving*...about 80+. As I wound up some throttle to get past him, I encountered that "wall of wind" that they all push...**** near slotted me into the concrete meridian, it did!! :shock:

As it was, as soon as I realized what it was, I leand, dropped a gear, and left him well behind. (read that, hit 110 and *left*)

Moral of the story? Don't follow semis, and don't try to pass unless you got *lots* of speed and are ready for it.

Later, all

ZX

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any semi that's going 80 is NOT in my way! I'm not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere since I evolved into an "old" guy!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

having one lose a re-cap right next to you ain't much fun either :shock:
the pop scared me more than the flying rubber :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Awww, you guys don't know what wind is :wink:

Around these parts a 50mph wind is a gentle summer breeze :shock: :shock: :p

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WIND

You have to love the wind! The way that it makes you ride at an angle sometimes is awkward, but the underpasses are just as much fun!!! Oh, and the hilltops, are interesting sometimes as well!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: EXTREME WIND!!!

ZX-2R said:
At's watcha' got behine thos big cattle truks in TEXAS!!!
The horse trailers in Kentucky are NOT to be followed unless you have knobby tires and no sense of smell (and generally no sense...), and a face shield!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
hahahahhaha

Yeah, I forgot about my trip through Arkansas, virginia, Kentucky...those lumps are slick and smelly, and they fling all over everything as they vaporize...and the spray from behind the trailers isn't from the windshield wipers being out of adjustment...gee, that was something I kind of wanted to forget about...but now it's kind of funny hearing someone else talk about it...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I once rode my bike over the Throgs Neck bridge over here with the wind blowing at about 45mph and I thought I was gonna die. I swore never to ride again with wind blowing that hard. Especially over a bridge that is so high. It was extremely scary.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BRIDGE

I took the one tha tgoes from S Bronx directly into Queens Village, the bridge just to the west of it...the potholes were my bigest fear...that and being run over by people chatting, eating and whatever they were doing... I seriously feel for you. YOu need a trip up the coast through New Haven, Mystic, CT and on up the coast through Buzzards Bay and then on up through East Port ME. It's a great 3 day trip...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Re: EXTREME WIND!!!

ZX-2R said:
At's watcha' got behine thos big cattle truks in TEXAS!!!

i know...i know....its a buncha idiots with their wipers on thinkin its rainin...he he he..peeeuuuuu 8)

·
Registered
133 Posts
LOL! The smell alone would be a reason to pass 'em. And the semi was going 80+? That's outrageous. Here, i believe it's illegal for 'em to go more than 65. 80 is really dangerous in a semi.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tim- said:
LOL! The smell alone would be a reason to pass 'em. And the semi was going 80+? That's outrageous. Here, i believe it's illegal for 'em to go more than 65. 80 is really dangerous in a semi.
If a semi is going 80, I will watch him go faster than I am going, no need to pass... 8)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
triplesecman said:
Yesterday we had 50 mph winds all day. When I was walking out to my car, I looked at where all the motorcycles are parked as I always do to see my friends Suzuki GS-500 laying on it's side. I always knew it could happen. Makes me glad my bike is at my house in a garage. :roll:
Thats sucks!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts