Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah the wind can throw you. may not be the smartest thing to do, but i like them when it's way too cold and windy. snug in behind one and the temps aren't so bad. watch your distance though. fulltilt.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try riding the Burlington Skyway, ON Canada on a windy day. Bring a change of gotchies.

·
Registered
408 Posts
ZX Kawboy said:
AMEN!!

THough...wind can also be found while doin' silly things..like passin' semi-trucks....
My MSF instructor said, "If you want to live, stay away from the big trucks."

·
Registered
20 Posts
up north (i live in maine) its not uncommon for logging trucks to go at least 90-110 mph. no state police, and their plates covered with dirt. its scary enough getting passed by one in a car going that fast, i cant imagine a motorcycle.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Neo said:
My MSF instructor said, "If you want to live, stay away from the big trucks."

Chip Trucks, anyone who lives around a pulp and/or paper mill knows what I am talking about.
Big behemouth trucks hauling a** down the highway spewing wood chips out the back end.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
trikebubble said:
Chip Trucks, anyone who lives around a pulp and/or paper mill knows what I am talking about.
Big behemouth trucks hauling a** down the highway spewing wood chips out the back end.

Cough...Cough....There...I got the wood chips out...now I can talk. ;)

Yep...those big rigs are all over and so are their chips. I hate it when I meet a couple of them in a row and the double wind blast affect feels like it's going to blow right through me. :-x :-x :-x

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
trikebubble said:
what about the tandem dump trucks with a load of sand and NO cover flyin down the interstate...anybody need to strip the paint for a custom flame job?

·
UBER CLUB MEMBER #2
13,839 Posts
Around here we have gravel trucks, and they are all running down the road uncovered, as all of our country roads are graveled, little rocks about the size of a pea, man does it hurt when they go by, dont know how many windshields we replaced because of them

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
1600pilot said:
Around here we have gravel trucks, and they are all running down the road uncovered, as all of our country roads are graveled, little rocks about the size of a pea, man does it hurt when they go by, dont know how many windshields we replaced because of them
We had a rural highway (55 MPH road, here) that needed to be repaved. The county cheaped out and did the oil and stone thing instead of repaving. During the first week, when all the stones were still loose, I caught one on my previous car's winshield, as did a couple of friends on there's. I sent the bill to the county and encouraged my friends to do the same. Other people must have had it happen to them as well, because three months later in came the trucks and paving equipment and the job got done right.

·
UBER CLUB MEMBER #2
13,839 Posts
out here in central Nebraska everything is divided in to square miles, every section is square and there are gravel roads on each side, you can start here on a a country road and drive it for 50or 60 miles in each direction, the roads are laid out like a big chess board, and they are all gravelled, so you have to deal with quite a bit of gravel on the hiways also, but i have been driving and riding on them forever, so its like second nature

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Thank goodness just about everything worth riding around here is paved. We have high winds, though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The first thing the drivers manual teachs in ky..leave bike in garage on a windy day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Scary is driving accross the metal grated mackinaw bridge when it's windy. The metal grates are bad enough by themselves, not to mention the wind. Years ago, a lady in a Yugo got blown completely off the bridge and into the drink....true story!

I have not driven the bridge on my cycle yet, but have talked to many that have...all the same story. Not looking forward to it one bit, but the U.P. is such a great place to explore that it will be worth it. Can always go through Wisconsin ofcourse....

21 - 37 of 37 Posts