Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon...

I'm brand new at riding motorcycles (ok, I haven't actually done it yet), and I need some clear advice on parts.

My brother-in-law just gave me his 1984 ZX 750 that has been sitting in his garage for 8 years. I started cleaning it up this weekend and pretty quickly noticed that it has no carbs. I've called some retail stores, and they want my weekly paycheck for a bank of carbs. ($1000+).

There is a motocycle salvage yard in Houston that has some Mikuni carbs they'll sell me for about $150. But, I don't know if they'll fit, and there is a "no return" policy on the purchase.

So, what "model" or part number for the carbs etc. does an '84 Kawasaki ZX 750 use?

Thanks.

--Jonathan

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
first off...welcome to the fourm. You can also post this question in the mechanics forum or the vintage bike forum. not that it is close to you but a source for parts if needed, in my area we have Bent Bikes, in Lynwood washington, you can find them with a google search. They deal in used or salvaged bike parts...good luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
The carbs you are looking for are Mikuni BS34 constant velocity units. Basically if you can find a post '83 KZ/Z750L or '83 ZX750A these carbs will fit your bike. Get the Clymmer manual to show you exactly what you will be looking for.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The 84 - its actually a Gpz750 came with Keihn CVK32's as stock. You will probably find more parts available for the Keihn vs the Mikuni. If you go with the CVK34's you may have to work a bit to get the carbueration just right, but it is a doable thing. You can find a used set for $40 - 125 in the 4 bank configuration that you need.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
jhantke said:
I've called some retail stores, and they want my weekly paycheck for a bank of carbs. ($1000+).
if you make a 1000$ a week then why bother with a ratty used bike thats gonna take more cash to get running. :wink: :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it...Mikuni BS34 -- Thanks for your help. And, I'll be sure to only ride my ratty bike at night so I won't be recognized.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My '84 GPz750 has Mikuni's and all documentation I have supports this. As for rebuilding the bike, GPz's and Interceptors were all the rage in the early '80s. They have historical value for bringing "track" performance to the street in mass appeal.

By today's standards, they are outdated etc., but at least, in my opinion, when I see a GPz or an Interceptor on the road, I know that it is not a cookie-cutter design that we have seen from all automotive/motorcycle manufacturers.

As for rebuilding the GPz750, check the ground wire and untape all the wiring to check for bad wires and replace as required. New bodywork can be purchased from Airtech. I'll try to find the link for a new exhaust for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next dumb question

Ok..I found a set of Mikuni BS34 carbs that supposedly have been rebuilt by a "professional". But, the carbs were on a '81 Suzuki GS1100 that is being parted out. I can get these for $85.00.

What happens if I just slap these carbs on my '84 GPz? Assuming that they were rebuilt correctly for the '81 GS1100, do they run well on my bike? Or am I just making a mistake to buy these?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The carbs would have to line up with the intake ports and the exit air filter box ports. Coming from a Suzuki, they may have spaced them differently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've basically already confessed that I don't know anything about bikes, so I don't know if what I'm saying even makes any sense -- I'm trying to learn at the lowest level.

For the time being, let's assume that everthing fits..

Will the bike run smoothly? Do the gizmos inside the carbs need to be reset because the engine is different thant the Suzuki GS1100? Basically, if the carbs are exactly the same as on the GS1100, shouldn't they work just fine? If not, is it a major/expensive thing to get the gizmos adjusted to work right?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You are gonna need a service manual or get information from one. Float bowls height, pilot screws settings and jet size will be your concerns once your carb rack is set for the kawi.

·
Registered
629 Posts
www.macperformance.com will get you a new exhaust w/o having to rejet etc.
Heres the info 1Adam12 is talking about:

Main jet: 110
Needle jet: Y-9
US Model zx750A: 4BC7
Jet needle clip position US model: Fixed
Pilot Jet 37.5
Pilot air screw: non-adjustable
Float level: 16.6-20.6mm (0.65-0.81 in)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
forest1000 said:
www.macperformance.com will get you a new exhaust w/o having to rejet etc.
Heres the info 1Adam12 is talking about:

Main jet: 110
Needle jet: Y-9
US Model zx750A: 4BC7
Jet needle clip position US model: Fixed
Pilot Jet 37.5
Pilot air screw: non-adjustable
Float level: 16.6-20.6mm (0.65-0.81 in)

Hope this helps.
Better give him the non us spec for pilot screw turns out so he has a starting place in case the carbs were adjusted. Now thats info on the superhighway at its best!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Will provide it when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Here is the extra info:

Pilot air screw(non-US models): 2 turns out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts