Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in northern VA and often commute on the toll roads. I tried to put my Smart tag in the front pocket of my jacket but the toll reader can not pick it up in the speed pass lanes (was thinking about sowing a pocket on the outside front my jacket). As an alternative I have been looking at the RAM mount holder for the EZ tag ((TwistedThrottle.com : RAM-Mount holder for EZ Pass, M-Tag, IPASS, & Smart-Tag toll passes on motorcycles & scooters - JSN-011)) – but it is kinda stupid looking (I can not find one made in chrome, that would help). Does anyone have one of these RAM mounts? Do they work? Does anyone have any alternatives?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I didn't do it yet but I have a windshield on the bike and I'm going to use velcro on the bottom part of the shield. I need to remove it easily to put it in the van.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Our K-Tag, the Kansas equivalent, lanes have a speed limit of 20 mph in the lane. I just slow down to 20, pull the tag out of my pocket and hold it up, gate or light goes on I put it back in my pocket and get back to business. That way it's not sitting on my bike waiiting form someone to take it. If the gate doesn't go up, i can always flip it off to the side while I'm grabbing for my brake.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My neighbor uses the same mount. He has it installed right between the risers. Doesn't look too bad. We went to "The Tail" last July and he didn't have a single failure.

We found out that when he clipped his garage door opener on bracket the EZ Pass failed to read. Do you have any other electronic devices with you (cell phone, mp3, radar detector, etc.).

I have the license plate unit attached on the front forks. Its under the headlight on the backside of the forks. Most of the time I have to point it out to people. Haven't tried it yet but not expecting any troubles. Took a picture but can't get it in the thread.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
I mounted a windshield bag on my Nomad and put the EZpass unit in there. So far I have been driving on the "highway speed" lanes where there is no arm to raise or any light to indicate a successful read. I guess I really don't know for sure if it's reading or not, assumed it was. I'll try going through one of the regular pay lanes and see if it picks up.

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
I Have had a lot of trouble with my EZpass registering at tolls when on my Vulcan 900. Currently have it strapped on the handlebar behind the windscreen.

I would say it only registers 50% of the time. Could the Windscreen or something else on the bike cause some type of jamming frequency?

When I had it on the windscreen right behind the metal Vulcan symbol it NEVER registered. So I'm assuming the Chrome / metal interferes with the EZpass transponder.

I'm still wondering where would be the best place to mount the transponder on the Vulcan. I do have a windscreen bag but it's right behind the Chrome Vulcan metal plate on the windscreen so I know that won't work.

Desmond

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I'm still wondering where would be the best place to mount the transponder on the Vulcan. I do have a windscreen bag but it's right behind the Chrome Vulcan metal plate on the windscreen so I know that won't work.

Desmond
Here's where I put mine on my Vulcan 2000. I've never had a problem with it there and it always registers when going through the toll gate.

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
Interesting. Here is Houston, they tell us to just put it under the seat. It is different from the windshield RFID tag and more like the old bulky style. I've never had a letter saying they didn't catch me going thru at 50 mph.
So mine is right next to the 9's tool kit.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I use the RAM mounts for my GPSs, both on the Vulcan and on my dirtbike.
They work very well and are totally secure.

Somehow, suction cups and velcro do not give me a warm fuzzy on a V-Twin ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Here in IL, you register your vehicle with the DMV when using the IPASS. They say they will send you a letter if you use in on an unregistered vehicle too often (like, every day), but it also lets them charge your account if you forget the transponder. Most people on bikes around here just "forget" to bring theirs on their bikes. When I called them up to register the bike, they said to put it on the windshield (which I don't have) or just leave it in your pocket. I'm going to put it in my tank bag if I ever hit the tool roads.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Here in IL, you register your vehicle with the DMV when using the IPASS.

........When I called them up to register the bike, they said to put it on the windshield (which I don't have) or just leave it in your pocket.
Carefull. I put my EZ Pass in my pocket and it didn't read. I got a ticket in the mail. Maybe because I have a heavy duty leather. Mesh might work differently. :confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Carefull. I put my EZ Pass in my pocket and it didn't read. I got a ticket in the mail. Maybe because I have a heavy duty leather. Mesh might work differently. :confused:
Did you have your bike registered? Didn't it read your plate? I'm assuming it did because they figured out where to send the ticket.

Like I said, I avoid the tool roads because by the time I get to them, I'm too tired to deal with them. Maybe I'll hit some this summer and see if the system sees me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts