Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got my EZ pass back in 2006 i ASSUMED that when you inquire within ezpass for a "motorcycle specific" ezpass that they put you on the "motorcycle ezpass plan". Nice, so you have to SPECIFY THAT??

Excuse me? What the hell is the point of getting a motorcycle ezpass if they are going to charge you the rate of a car? So i can happily drive around with the big fat "M" on the back of my windshield only to pay 8 bucks a bridge instead of the 4 bucks its supposed to be? I was never offered that as an option. And its TOTALLY my fault for not reading my statements, well the amounts of the tolls i was paying rather. My fault. But still, thats 3 years of paying for a car rate when i should have paid for a bike rate. I dont travel THAT much but im willing to bet its ALOT of money over the last 3 years. And to make it worse you cant even just log into your account on the site and change it, or even call them on the phone to have them do it for you. You need to copy your registration and fax them a letter telling them you want to be put on this plan. Gee. What a bunch of hard ons. they really want to make it diffucult for you apparently.

I only came across this in an article in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine for the NY area and I was extremely angry reading this and finding out its true. Again, my fault for not keeping track of this but it really must be a nice running scam for people who arent paying close attention to their accounts.

Ok, done ranting for now.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
When i got my EZ pass back in 2006 i ASSUMED that when you inquire within ezpass for a "motorcycle specific" ezpass that they put you on the "motorcycle ezpass plan". Nice, so you have to SPECIFY THAT??

Excuse me? What the hell is the point of getting a motorcycle ezpass if they are going to charge you the rate of a car? So i can happily drive around with the big fat "M" on the back of my windshield only to pay 8 bucks a bridge instead of the 4 bucks its supposed to be? I was never offered that as an option. And its TOTALLY my fault for not reading my statements, well the amounts of the tolls i was paying rather. My fault. But still, thats 3 years of paying for a car rate when i should have paid for a bike rate. I dont travel THAT much but im willing to bet its ALOT of money over the last 3 years. And to make it worse you cant even just log into your account on the site and change it, or even call them on the phone to have them do it for you. You need to copy your registration and fax them a letter telling them you want to be put on this plan. Gee. What a bunch of hard ons. they really want to make it diffucult for you apparently.

I only came across this in an article in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine for the NY area and I was extremely angry reading this and finding out its true. Again, my fault for not keeping track of this but it really must be a nice running scam for people who arent paying close attention to their accounts.

Ok, done ranting for now.
I always hated the tolls in the New England area, especially in New York. That "error" on their part is just another way for them to make money, greedy bureaucrats!

I feel your pain, dude, I really do.

The truck drivers get it the worst going through there.

And what really sucks is the lack of recourse. That's just a huge bunch of bullcrap in my book.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, at least they give bikers a break in some fashion. Unfortunately, here in DFW, the tolls for bikes and cars are the same. But, I pay...I can usually get where I'm going faster on the toll roads and there is less opportunity to get splatted. Anybody from around here that drives on 75 and/or 635 knows what I'm talking about...

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I wonder what's to keep a trucker from getting a motorcycle pass and paying MC rate for an 18 wheeler?

Brian
At some larger toll centers, they have people monitoring the traffic and the type of pass that is triggered, so if a truck goes through but shows a motorcycle ID, they'll see it. For others they do random checks.

There's a huge fine if you're caught.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like NY EZPass has the same consultants as the credit card companies. Citi Bank now informs me that they're raising the rate to 29%! At least they put a large red NOTICE on their website about the thru-the-roof rate...I feel your pain!

·
Honey I shrank the cycle!
54 Posts
Hell, Verizon here in NJ still charges you a buck a month for "touch tone service". Add up all the Verizon customers and you come up with a whole lotta money! I'm sure that many homes do not even have a rotary dial phone (I have one), and keep their pushbutton phones set for tone dialing, not pulse dialing.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up...just logged in to my EZ pass, but it looks like I'm being charged the correct MC toll rate.

Have you called them to ask for a refund?

MD
Hey man, nah I havent asked for a refund but I fully expect them to NOT cooperate when i ask for it. Isnt this NY State after all? I dont think I stand a chance but i can ask.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
Sounds like NY EZPass has the same consultants as the credit card companies. Citi Bank now informs me that they're raising the rate to 29%! At least they put a large red NOTICE on their website about the thru-the-roof rate...I feel your pain!
i got that notice in the mail and promptly called them and opted out, preserving my 7.99% until the balance is gone...

it doesn't seem that raising my rate from under 8% to 29% should be unlawful, especially when their reason is THEY'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey, my EZPass has worked fine on the bike. When I first got the "M" tag, I did need to log into my account, and add the bike and plate number to my vehicle list, but that was it. I don't think I had to specifically request the motorcyle discount or plan. Sounds like a screw up on EZPass' part...I'd ask for that retroactive discount & see what they say. At the very least, make sure they fix it so you pay the correct rate (50% discount) from this point forward.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
i got that notice in the mail and promptly called them and opted out, preserving my 7.99% until the balance is gone...

it doesn't seem that raising my rate from under 8% to 29% should be unlawful, especially when their reason is THEY'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY!!!!
I'm holding out hope they'll get a spanking from the feds in the next few months.

I got that notice too. I guess paying your bill on time every month and not going over your limit doesn't mean much anymore.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I'm still trying to get adjusted to tolls again after not having lived in the east for more than 10 years. At least here in southern NH, we don't have a LOT of them. When we lived in Rockland County, NY, I got SO sick of tolls everywhere you went. Ugh. I just ordered EZPass for the two cars, but we don't have any plans to get transponders for the bikes. We're going to try to avoid toll roads when we're on the bikes. Not sure how well that's going to work out...

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Hey Julie,
How are you guys doing? All settled in? Any more house pics? We got transponders for the cars and the bikes. For where we live we live now,
it is certainly convenient at times for both.

·
Registered
466 Posts

I am suprise you just got that notice. The credit card companies did that around june of this year around here. The gov has changed some of the laws about credit cards. They go into effect shortly. The credit card companies are getting ahead of the law. they are making plenty of money off of the credit cards even before the rate hike. They are losing money other places because of the mortgage mess and they are not makeing alot of loans. They are milking us for their stupid mistakes. Citi is or has filed bankrupsty they will unload alot of their debt and just go on about business as usual when they come out of it. Just like gm. You try doing that.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I am suprise you just got that notice. The credit card companies did that around june of this year around here. The gov has changed some of the laws about credit cards. They go into effect shortly. The credit card companies are getting ahead of the law. they are making plenty of money off of the credit cards even before the rate hike. They are losing money other places because of the mortgage mess and they are not makeing alot of loans. They are milking us for their stupid mistakes. Citi is or has filed bankrupsty they will unload alot of their debt and just go on about business as usual when they come out of it. Just like gm. You try doing that.
Citi is not filing bankruptcy. The company filing is CIT CIT files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection - Yahoo! News

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.