Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a F & S engine gaurd on their bike?. If so, how is the chrome holding up?.

I've only had mine on my 800 for one season, and went out yesterday to find it covered in surface rust. I mean every darn inch of it. It's only been setting for about 2 weeks since I cleaned rust off the thing last time. I looked at other gaurds before buying this one, but I liked the look of the F & S one best.

2 questions,,,, Has anyone ever had something like this re-chromed and done right ?. Or does anyone know how much it would cost to have the same gaurd duplicated in stainless?.

Wish I would have taken a picture... Then again, I'm sure I'll get another opportunity in a couple weeks.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
engine guard

i have the factory ones on my nomad and have had no problems yet. i have seen nomads 5 years old without what you are talking about. you might want to talk to your dealer and see if maybe kawi will make good on it. as far as rechroming or stainless, i have no idea. good luck.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
sounds like a bad chroming job from the get-go...i'd talk to the dealer too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... I actually ordered it from the Kawi website, but I'll shoot them an e-mail and see what they say.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
You should give Beartooth Kawasaki a call for you Genuine Kawasaki Accessories...you'll get a 10% discount. :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

both of mine have been on for 8 months to a year and look as good as new
i think cobra chromed some stuff for kawi and had quite a few returns
and recalls :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bikeaholic.. I'm waiting on a reply from Kawi.. Sounds like it could be a while though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,,, guess looks like I may be outta luck on the chrome problem. Here's the reply I just received from Kawi.

"Thank you for contacting Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
All Kawasaki accessories have a 90 warranty. You may try using wax on the chromed portions and spraying silver colored paint on the welded areas to help reduce rust formation (especially if the motorcycle is kept outdoors)."

My own fault for not contacting them the first time I noticed rust on the guard (which was about 2 weeks after I bought it). I understand that it was only a 90 day warranty to start with, but if this is the level of quality that's to be expected from Kawi, I wont be buying another accessory piece from them. Live and Learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Roger said:
I understand that it was only a 90 day warranty to start with, but if this is the level of quality that's to be expected from Kawi, I wont be buying another accessory piece from them. Live and Learn.
I agree 100%. I tried to get them to help me with an aftermarket accessory (Fire & Steel) to which they replied with their moronic generic statement, "these products have a 90 day warranty". I'm like "yes you idiot, I know that. That's why I'm trying to get you to help defray the cost of repair or replacement". Some of these large corporations i.e.Kawasaki, will not budge one inch when it comes to assisting a dis-satisfied customer because they simply do not care. I've dealt with other large companies that have gone above and beyond to remedy a problem with one of their products and to them I will remain a loyal and frequent patron. As for Kawasaki, I will never buy another product from them again and that stems from the one incident in which they in essence blew me off. If more people felt the same way I do maybe these large companies who treat individual customers with such indifference, i.e. Kawasaki, would start to feel the results in their extremely deep pockets.
OK, let me get down off my soapbox now! :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

keep in mind that kawi does not always do the manufacturing of aftermarket
stuff - they contract out ,and if i remember right about 2 years ago they had
a bad batch of chrome work done by cobra and alot of dealers made it good
for customers as kawi recalled the stuff back but alot of dealers did'nt

beowulf believe me i've had my share of disputs with mfg's most of which
i was left holding the short end of the stick :lol: but consumer vs oem
just don't work very well.i learned to get somebody on the inside at a oem
and magical things start to happen :p

i agree that customer realtions should be an important part but somehow i feel that the oems distance themselves from that and push the dealer
network to handle such matters-which i think is the real issue here
"dealer consistency" i've just heard and experienced both ends of the spectrum good and bad too many times

·
Registered
837 Posts
phew...glad i only bought t shirts from f&s now 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts