Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a decent amount of oil in the crank case of my F11 while doing the top end. Enough that the counterwieghts on the crankshaft picked up a little oil on them when they rotated. I know there is a wet and a dry seal.

Is the wet seal on the right side of the case? Does anyone know if I need to split the crank case to replace? I cannot tell from the manual.

Anything else that would cause oil to leak from trans into crank case?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
No transmission oil is allowed in the crankcase. You are doing some work to this engine, so the crankcase seals should be replaced at this time. They are probably the originals, hard as a rock from age, and if they have not totally failed by now, they will in the near future. Now is the time to do this.

Man, this sfair is trying to create work for me!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, no. I am not sure. I am going to drain it and take a look. It looked like the same color as the oil in the transmission - light brown, vs the blue colored oil in the oil tank and lines....The NEW 2 stroke oil I just bought, but have not put in yet, is the SAME color as the trans oil. I don't know how long the old blue oil has been run in the bike, so...no idea. I just saw the oil getting picked up by the counter weights when I was doing the top end and thought it was trouble....I think there is a drain, so I will drain it and see how much is in there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, now I am confused. There are two drain plugs under the cases. They LOOK like they drain the same case. In fact, I drained both of them dry, and then refilled the transmission oil trough the oil fill, and let the motor sit on the bench for the night. This morning, I can drain oil out of BOTH drain plugs - so either I have a REALLLLY bad seal leak, or both drain plugs are designed to drain transmission fluid. Or, I am completely screwed up and there is SUPPOSED to be oil in all of the cases - anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some more poking around I have pretty much determined that there is supposed to be oil in this crankcase. The shop manual says that white smoke can be caused by high oil level, which means there has to be oil in the crank case. Further, a shot of compressed air through the filler blows right through each drain plug with ease. Maybe I am crazy.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

The vacuum created by the piston stroke will pull the fuel/two stroke oil mixture from the carb and down in the crank housing (where the crank balance weights are). Here, the two stroke oil will lube various bearings and the piston. That's why you will find two stroke oil under the crank balance weights. Tranny oil should only be located in the gearbox/clutch area. A bad crank seal will allow tranny oil to be pulled in to the crank housing. This normally requires the engine to run.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what you are saying, however in this case, it's a piston port engine and the the carb is above the crank case at the cylinder, not the crank case.

Why would the shop manual say that a cause of white smoke is oil level too high?

In any case, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm leaving the seals alone unless I have some very good reason. One of the case bolts is frozen and I will break it if I remove it. I'm not ready to be drilling broken bolts yet. The rest came out fine with an impact driver - had to be one....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.