Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've started restoring a 73 F7, its the same model my Dad had (almost, he had a 75) when I was a kid and I learned to ride on. So I'm restoring it, to give to him as he loaned his to a family member and it never returned!

I also found 2, 76' KE175's that I'm going to restore for each of my boys.

Thought I might document it all here... and it might help someone else doing the same.
I'm in Aus and parts are pretty scarce, so might have to look abroad (U.S. you guys seem to have the lion share of the parts)

So... its pretty rough!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

But we'll see how we go!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started pulling the poor old girl apart today, it's mess. Both rims are rusted through, front strut tube are rusted through the chrome and I'm missing some wiring to go with all the missing Lights.

Put together a crude electrolysis tank too and threw the tank in it. It's not in great shape, but I think it'll seal up.

Pumpkin Cucurbita Calabaza Winter squash Plant

Wood Motor vehicle Gas Machine Wire

Helmet Wood Gas Natural material Metal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great pix. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Will you go with a set of new aluminum rims or stick with steel?
Thanks! Got some more pictures to go up today hopefully!
I've already been trying to track down some original wheels, I've found a reasonable condition rear.... but the front is the tricky one being a 19" I'm not sure, I'd like to keep this one close to original if I can. The green KE pictured below, will become a scrambler as its missing a lot of parts, so was thinking slightly wider aluminium rims in this

These are the 2 KE' I'm going to restore as well...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seat foam removed, and it's not good... seat base is trashed, put it in the electrolysis tank as its the gentlest way I can think to remove the rust... and there's not much left.

Road surface Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood

Quick search shows some bases available in the U.S. but postage cost more than the seat...

·
Administrator
4,191 Posts
I ran into the same problem restoring my 1966 YL-1.
I took what was left of the seat base to a local community college and their students fabricated a new base for me.
Maybe you could do the same. There was no charge.

Gas Auto part Metal Tool Bumper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made myself a bike stand and started stripping it...

Bicycle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Bicycle handlebar

Vehicle Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle tire Bicycle part

Head stem Is off, lost about 3 ball bearings in the process, but I might replace with tapered needle rollers. Found another forum that has a part number for an "All Balls" replacement kit, but it doesn't list F7 on the details, so I've emailed them for the bearing sizes.

Engine out next......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried pulling the one small dent in the tank out, but tank is so thin it's split at the front seam. Looks like it's off to a fabricator!

Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Art Fence

Hood Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive tire

Frame is comoletely stripped now and engine out. Decided against powder coating the frame as I don't want to lose the original compliance sticker.
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle handlebar Wheel Bicycle fork

Looks like the bike was ridden with the carby boot off, whole area under the side cover and around the carby was caked in dirt.

Safety glove Automotive tire Insect Gas Wood

Took a lot of soaking and cleaning...

Sleeve Wood Sculpture Art Statue

·
Administrator
4,191 Posts
Fibreglass cloth and resin may be the answer to your thin, weak gas tank.
By the looks of that carb, you may have to split the cases and do a crank rebuild but for such a classic bike, I think its worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fibreglass cloth and resin may be the answer to your thin, weak gas tank.
By the looks of that carb, you may have to split the cases and do a crank rebuild but for such a classic bike, I think its worth it.
Funny you should mention that, but that's exactly how I'm looking at fixing the seat base!!

Got a metal fabricator having a look at the tank tomorrow and I'll go from there!

Yes, engines getting split and top and bottom freshen up just to be safe. Was remarkably clean in the intake port, so hoping it's not too bad in there.

Got the green KE tank back to bare metal with a bit of work after electrolysis, and a coat of undercoat to seal it up.

Wood Grass Table Helmet Tableware

Plant Gas Grass Composite material Storage tank

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I've been busy...

Plant Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Twig

Frame, rear guard and all brackets back to bare metal and one by one being re-sprayed. More photos to follow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished cleaning up and repainting the swing arm today..... and then the new shockers arrived just now. So had to sit it all back together!!!

Wood Art Trunk Twig Driftwood

Motor vehicle Tool Road surface Wood Plant

Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts