Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I live in AZ where the weather is still pretty nice, but dipping in the high 40 low 50 range in the mornings. I have a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. Since the cooler weather started a few weeks ago, I am getting a lot of fog in my face shield in the mornings from breathing. My question is if anyone else is seeing this, and what do you do to stop it if possible. I don't want to remove the shield as I like the extra protection, and not having to wear goggles/glasses.

Flanman

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know a few options for full face helmets, not sure if they work with a 3/4. Pinlock makes a shield that you attach to the inside of your existing. Fog city also makes a similar product. Both are pretty much helmet shield specific though.

I've used cat crap ( the stuff in the tin, not the real deal :D ) with varying success. There are a bunch of other chemical applications that you can try fairly cheaply as a quick fix.

I ride right through winter several days a week and found the best solution in a Bombardier snowmobile helmet. Sized large enough to fit a head wrap underneath, it comes with a breath mask, is warm and fog free. Limited visibilty and only DOT rated though, I only wear it when it's in the teens or lower.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I don't know about a 3/4 helmet as I have a full but I just leave my shield open a little bit, not enough to get any wind but enough to keep the shield clear. You have to have a little air circulating, you've got to get that warm moist breath out of there. The only other solution I can think of is to stop breathing so much!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried tipping the shield up to the next spot, but I get a lot of cold air on the face and eyes. Unfortunately I have to take a few breaths as it is a 25 minute ride :). I may eventually look at a full face, but in AZ it would be very hot for about 6 months of the year.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I live in Florida, and sometimes have the same problem with my 3/4. Keeping the inside of the shield super-clean helps a lot. You can also try breathing downward at short stops, or flipping it at longer ones. I will be buying a mid priced full face with breath guard here shortly for winter riding. I think everyone ends up with a collection of helmets for different conditions.

·
Old Dudes Rule
135 Posts
Use a dryer sheet. Make sure the shield is clean, than rub the inside and outside with a dryer sheet, and you're good to go. Works on your bathroom mirror also-

·
800 Classic
215 Posts
Use a dryer sheet. Make sure the shield is clean, than rub the inside and outside with a dryer sheet, and you're good to go. Works on your bathroom mirror also-

I also have this issue. Full face in north florida. Fog City inside my helmet.

I'm going to try this as well! Miracle sitting there in the laundry room, and didn't even know it.

JG

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
There is a product made by Rain-X called 'Fog-Free' that you can apply right to the inside of the face sheild. You just need to re-apply it once in a while (used to do mine once a month, weather I need to or not).

But like all chemicals, try a small application somewhere it won't be noticed first. You don't want to find out that it clouds the sheild AFTER doing the whole thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts