Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my MN motorcycle riding test today.. I failed it.. Ran over the last cone with my ZX6r. IT was either run over the cone or drop the bike.

Now I see why people come there with 50 scooters to take the test. It wasn't too embarrasing though because I was the second to the last one to take the test so there wasn't too many observers :D

The lady said "Kiddo, go and practice for another week and then come back" lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ahh that sucks. Well suck it up and you'll be more confident next time out. Borrow a smaller bike if that's what it takes. It's important that you practice with your bike, though. The test is made to weed out some people. Literbikes and stray cars will take care of the rest in time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I didn't want to take a cheater bike to go take the test. I want to be able to past the test with the bike that I plan on riding every day. Oh well, time to keep practicing over the week-end :D

Goes to show that just because you can ride FAST doesn't mean you can handle the bike at low speeds :shock: :p :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ATTITUDE

Great attitude and direction! KUDO's to you for sticking with it! Sometimes good enough just isn't. Now look at all the people that are taking the test and then going back to get on their bikes at home...and not practicing...hmmm. I suggest practicing to ANY person that gets a new bike that hasn't taken the test with it. It doesn't really require cones only a parking lot with lines, some imagination and NO poles in the immediate area...good for you...although you didn't pass the test, you know something that you can be proud of and that is the honesty and integrety you have stated.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I flunked the first time, too. I had been riding six or seven days as I recall. The next chance I had to take the test was about a month later, and I passed it easily. I used pop cans in the parking lot to practice.

When I took my test I heard people talking about how smaller bikes pass easier. But I think the rider makes ten times the difference. I saw a guy on a huge (and I mean huge) Indian cruiser. It was a very big, long, and heavy bike, and the guy passed without batting an eye.

Where in Minnesota are you? I'm in St. Paul.
Curt

·
Registered
456 Posts
from an earlier post:
webwarrior said:
. . . I have the smallest CC bike out of our group. All my fellow riders have R1's . . .
And now I know why you want to ride with me. You want someone you can smoke!

Seriously, though, I'm riding up to St. Croix Falls Wisconsin tomorrow afternoon -- sunny day, twisty roads, mmm, nice. My ex-neice is having a birthday party, and my ex-brother-in-law and I will take the kids on some motorcycle rides around the block. He has an older Kawasaki cruiser. I think it's a 750 if I remember correctly, but with all the weight and full fairings he has on it, I can take him pretty easily. I just need to get someone to bring my son up there, since he's too small to ride the Ninja for an hour each way.

You have an incredible web site. I love the water effect on the pics of your wife. You make my web site look like it was made by a third grader. And ooo, that 45! I've always preferred revolvers, but that is one nice 45. You've got me thinking. And of course your ZX-6R looks super sweet, too.
Curt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I'm glad you like the site =)
Its not too hard to create them. Just a little time and elbow grease is all.

I took my wife out on the bike today. We went on 94e to 95 and then took 95 down to Prescott. From there, we took 61 back to St Paul. It was a nice little ride. Kinda cold but not too bad.

If we went riding, I wouldn't leave ya behind. Its not about who can go the fastest. Its more of just a group of friends hanging out and enjoying the motorcycle / free air :D

Oh yeah, the .45 :D I have a laser on that thing too =) I just bought a S&W SW99, 9MM. I love to collect them and take them out to the range and do some shooting. Thats always fun too 8)
Curt said:
You have an incredible web site. I love the water effect on the pics of your wife. You make my web site look like it was made by a third grader. And ooo, that 45! I've always preferred revolvers, but that is one nice 45. You've got me thinking. And of course your ZX-6R looks super sweet, too.
Curt

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure if all the endorsement tests are the same but in Florida, they take less points off for not making the cone than hitting it or putting feet down. :idea:

·
Registered
182 Posts
webwarrior said:
yeah, I didn't want to take a cheater bike to go take the test. I want to be able to past the test with the bike that I plan on riding every day. Oh well, time to keep practicing over the week-end :D

Goes to show that just because you can ride FAST doesn't mean you can handle the bike at low speeds :shock: :p :D
That is what it is all about isn't it. Most people ride around really fast and think they have skillz, but in reality have no skill when it comes to cornering at slow speed aand stopping correctly. Anyone can go fast, but practice going slow, that is the true key to getting the skills you need.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's what I learned in my MSF course this weekend. I can ride fast no problem, and I have no troubles on the road. It's a lot tougher to U-turn in a 20' X 70' box. Slow offset cone weaves are great, too.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AMA EXPERIENCED RIDER COURSE

I just read about the experienced Course offered by the AMA. As soon as I get my bike on the road, I'll be applying for it. It should be a real eye opener for me. I tend to think that I'm better than the average rider not just because of school and racing but because I practice and I am constatnly teaching others and showing them how to do things better and in a safer manner. I'm curious to see if the decreasing radius turns (that I love so much will tend to throw me of guard or just where my skills are lacking. I'm not perfect, and I know that, I'm just real curious as to where my faults are...actually I'm really excited to find them and work on them. I'm like an old blue hair when it's raining, but if the roads are hot and sticky and I know them from everyday use...look out...I'm pouring it on...and I'm not afraid to wear out a footpeg rubber to go around a paint bucket or a shovel/rake in te road coming around a corner! YES!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
gotta love the secretary of state here in michigan. I took my written test today (and waited 2 hrs) and just passed. The lady at the counter said that almost everyone who takes the MSF course and then takes the written test fails b/c it's different/wrong info. My MSF instructors said about the same thing too.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Kansas State

Here you don't have to wear a helmet, but you are required to wear a seatbelt, unless you are in a 4 wheel drive vehicle or a vehicle used for farming use...Lighting rules are wierd as far as headlight heights and widths between them, and we have NO state inspections. So if you decide to run a catalytic converter (which can be removed in rural areas because of hay/grass fires caused by the extreme temperatures of the converter...you can go with nothing but a straight pipe an a resonator tip...Stupid laws...have you seen the new firebirds/GM products that only have one white lamp on in the front? is that safety? I'm all for running an 8Watt lamp for daytime running like the European headlights use according to my Owners Manual Wiring diagram. Can't see running bright headlights wasting power. I'm on the lookout for turning cars, last minute slam on the brakes and changing lanes (all 4 of them to get off at an exit , or even turning left or right from the extreme wrong lane)...you have to be aware and play the "WHAT IF" game that is so stupid that it is actually funny...otherwise you'd go insane tryig to ride, or drive...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts