Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Wondering if I can get some input to a temporary power loss problem that hits me once in a while:

At highway speeds, once in a while the bike will lose power but keep running. I am certain from the feel of it that it is only running on one cylinder when this is happening.

I have tried checking the wires to the coils to be sure they are strongly attached. I have also checked to make sure the wires are firmly attached to the plugs. (I will change the plugs later tonight after the bike cools some).

I know that a failing ingniter could be the cause of this, so could a bad coil, bad wire, etc... my question is... what is the failure mode for the ignitor? Can a bad ignitor make the bike run on just one cylinder? Or should I be considering a bad coil?

Thanks,

Charles

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FIrst of all

We don't exactly know what bike you have, year, warranty left...and your profile is empty, so it's difficult to advise you with all the empty holes...Please fill in your profile so that we can help you na din your signature of profile it wouldn't hurt to put in yor birthdate so that we know your age...it helps...if you know the age sometimes... anyway I personally don't think it is an electrical problem unless you just have a wire that is rubbed some insulation loose somewhere or you have a defective switch somewhere like a dirty kickstand switch...I would put my money on fuel...we have seen a rash of ventilation problems lately where the vacuum line is defective crimped or whatever and also finding that sediment is in the bottom of the fuel tank and is just now affecting people. try running on REServe and see if it does the same thing...also ther isa fine mesh screen in the botom of your tank which can become sorta clogged with sediment...we've even had a couple petcocks that were cleaned out to solve the problem...the kickstand switch was a wierd one but a valid problem...that took cleaning it and in one situation wd-40 and working it took care of the problem... I wouldn't advise riding around with your fuel tank filler open...do you ever hear a suction wheezing sound like vacuum? let us know what you find...Spark plugs have failed in the past...they are only ceramic and they do get cracks and you can't see them...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More information...

Hi there,

Thanks for the information... I really think you're onto something... but me anser your questions first:

Bike is 1992 Kawasaki ex500.

I am a 34 year old engineer, very good with diesel engines... don't any any direct experience with carbs ( but think I can learn).

Funny you mention the screen in the tank and the petcock. I just bought a petcock rebuild kit (and its here) so I will put it in. I will also take care to clean the screen.

No that you mention it... I did have the engine die on me 10 days ago when riding. Changing to reserve got me going again... but at the gas station only needed 1.4 gallons... that had me scratching my head until now...

So I will rebuild the petcock, clean the screen, check the vent line.

(All things that need doing)

Then I will also put in new plugs (while it is open).

and see what happens.

I think I might also replace the spark plug wires. They are 12 years old and don't look so good.

Thank you and I will post in a couple of days to share progess on this one :)

Thank you again for the information ... I think you have just saved me a lot of wasted time!!

Shipbldr2000

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Shipbldr

I hope that the answer is in there somewhere...your remark about the plug wires reminds me about exactly that failing recently and the guy was going nuts trying to figure it out...now that it's about dusk go out and spray water on your engine and see if it dies...or you get the TESLA light show of arking. 34 years...COOL...I have this 1951 Studebaker Commander and I had this goofy idea of being way wierd and installing a small diesel engine and 4 speed transmission instead of an old really heavy V8 You have any ideas on that ...like forget it? Anyway hope that you get the thing running right and I really am anxious to hear what all you found. I'm 51 and spent 20 years in the NAVY doing mostly Mainframe computer work...now I'm retired doing nothing...and going broke....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installing a diesel

Hey,

Installing a diesel would have one real big andvantage if you did a lot or "around town" driving: Massive low end torque.... and a big heavy car would really eat that up... On the other hand... here's the downside:

Cost $$$
Likely need to change rear end ratio
You're gonna need to weld
You'll need to run a return line to the tank
Coffee can full of rocks sound....

But O mi gad! You will love the torque. My advice is to but an F250 or 350 powerstroke truck with 300,000 miles for a couple thousand bucks. People sell these because the truck is totally shot.... but usually the engine is fine for quite a lot longer... plus by buying the whole truck... you know you'll have any part you want/need for doing the donor job.

I'll check back in soon....

Shipbldr2000

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FORD

I have several friends working for FORD. Perhaps a 6.0 Liter...although I think that ther is also a 4.6L diesel I know that VW is running diesels...this year even in the PASSAT. My best bet may come from a FORD...but ther is still a chance that www.studebakermotorcompany.com may build a coupel of engines, and I'm actually a penciled in Board of Director...I know the President/CEO in Texas...I was actually hopeing to ride a Studebaker Motorcycle before I had to rebuild a 2002 Ninja 250R from the salvage yard...1028 miles on it. I know it's a small bike but I've had my fun on big bikes and I need Physical Therapy, so the 250R will be the Rocket that does 75MPH tops in 6th. Later I'll buy a larger bike for the road, but it will have to be a sportbike, lean over forward, because of the cages and fusion in my back...I love bikes...Karting, Autocross, mostly roadracing with bikes...something about coming out of a corner nearly dragging your elbow and slowly Twisting the throtttle as you feel the bike under your butt moving and then bring it out and upright as you shift and pull the front end off hte ground about 6" and keep shifting till you have to get on the brakes hard and set the suspensionand setup for hitting the apex of the next series of curves...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts