Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, last week I put a Jardine full exhaust on my bike, ('01 500R) I am now in the process of modifying the bottom fairing so the huge pipes fit. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good way to cut plastic. I am currently using a dremil (sp?) tool and the little cutoff wheels keep getting the plastic hot and melting on them, so its taking more time than I was expecting.

if you have any ideas throw them at me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a hand grinder with scotchbrite pads to rough shape plastic edges. I've found it to be the quickest way to eat away unwanted pieces.
If you don't have access to a compressor and a grinder, then you can still do it with your dremel, just use a slower speed and a rougher cut
Dremel also makes mini saw circular saw blades (about $7 at Lowe's) that do an excellent job of cutting away plastic. I have one I call "the bone saw" that I use for taking off large pieces in a hurry. It will leave a pretty rough edge so you will want to follow it up with a good rasp file and some 80 grit to smooth the edge and finish shape it.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lowes carries something like that? Those cut-off wheels are annoying, they get the plastic hot and its melts to the wheel. once I get the proper fit I'm going to go back through and come up with some sort of design so it looks really good. that would be a worthy 7 bucks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Lowe's here has them. You can buy the individual refill blades, which is what I rig up to use in a die grinder or you can buy the whole nifty little addaptor kit for your dremel that has a little blade guard and is on a cable for around $34 I think.
If you have a large area to cut out, you can also use a jig saw with a rough cut blade. It sounds like you have already stumbled onto the biggest problem with working plastic...melting. Regardless of what you use to cut it, try to use a sower speed and a rougher cutting pad,wheel,blade,etc. It will help reduce the melting.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Braada said:
The Lowe's here has them. You can buy the individual refill blades, which is what I rig up to use in a die grinder or you can buy the whole nifty little addaptor kit for your dremel that has a little blade guard and is on a cable for around $34 I think.
If you have a large area to cut out, you can also use a jig saw with a rough cut blade. It sounds like you have already stumbled onto the biggest problem with working plastic...melting. Regardless of what you use to cut it, try to use a sower speed and a rougher cutting pad,wheel,blade,etc. It will help reduce the melting.

as soon as I get around to it today or tomorrow I'm going to head over to lowes and see what they have, I'd rather go over it 2 or 3 times to make it smooth. I just need something that I can roughly cut the holes with. Your recommendation seems like a perfect match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts