Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 86 GPZ and I had a question about the body. I searched for a post in this forum but could not find what I was looking for so if anyone can link me to one I would gladly check it out.
Anyway, my main question is about upgrading the fairings to a newer model or style.
With the bike completely stripped is the actual frame the same to what years?
For example (any car guys on here) you can take a 1979 Mustang and make it look exactly like a 1993 GT just by swapping out body parts, they are factory direct bolt-ons. Or a 1980 Capri to a Mustang by swapping the hatch, bumper covers and hood. This is basically what I am hoping to do.
I am not a fan of the rear section on this bike (a little too boxy) and would actually like to swap to a two headlight set up like on a ZX7 like below.

Thanks for any info.

·
Parts Counter Jockey
358 Posts
The short version is: Kawasaki molests their designs regularly, anything that you can make fit will require modifications. Bummer :(

The long version is: With basically every model change, most sport bike manufacturers change the frame / bike configuration enough that a fairing will only fit if it has been designed to fit that bike. In addition to practicalities such as wheelbase, height, wheel size, and steering head measurements; you also have differences in mounting brackets, exhaust, engine size, emissions requirements (which varied wildly in the 80's) and considerations made due to changing DOT regulations.

If you have a stock fairing, I'd say modify the tail section to suit you, paint and ride. If you don't have a stock fairing, consider a mini cowling for the front for a full or partial 'naked' bike look.

Depending on exactly what model you have, you might call Airtech Streamlining. They don't list a body for your model, but if they make one that fits then you can get a racing cowling and cut it to fit dual headlamps. Mounting and wiring the lamps will be up to you, of course...

The final option would be to roll your own complete bodywork by mocking up what you want with stock bodywork and modeling supplies and then molding a new fairing set with fibreglass (or carbon fibre). But I think if you had that particular skillset handy, you would have already done that. I hope :D

Anyhow, good luck. (and welcome to the forum!)

~Cheers

Bilby

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for all your information. I understand why Kawasaki would make such a wide variety of changes through the years. It seems to me the Bike industry is changing way faster then the auto industry is (when it comes to design) Making things lighter and faster, more sleek and aerodynamic.
Anyway, I guess I will start searching for aftermarket companies and see what they have. Anyone have any ideas?
One "off topic" question, I have done some parts searching and have not found much on the GPZ 600. I have found the 550, the 750 (?) and 1100 (not exact on the CC on the 750 and 1100 that is why the question mark). I do see quite a bit for the 86 Ninja 600 though. When shopping for OEM or performance parts, can I just shop the Ninja parts?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One "off topic" question, I have done some parts searching and have not found much on the GPZ 600. I have found the 550, the 750 (?) and 1100 (not exact on the CC on the 750 and 1100 that is why the question mark). I do see quite a bit for the 86 Ninja 600 though. When shopping for OEM or performance parts, can I just shop the Ninja parts?
Thanks again.
You'll see some overlap with the terms 'GPz' and 'Ninja' but GPz tends to be the older term and generally refers to older style bikes (although it pops up again in the 1995 1996 GPz1100). These older models being the 550, 750, and 1100 GPz's (1981 to 1985 in North America)...in 1986, the 600 Ninja line was introduced...radically different...water-cooled, etc. but still referred to as the GPz600...AKA Ninja 600

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh I see. Can you run the VIN numbers like you can on a car to see specifically what you have? I mean there are NO badges on this bike what so ever besides on the crank case cover. I am not sure if it is a 600R or just a 600.
If I am shopping for parts and say it is a 600R I could buy parts off the same year model Ninja 600R? I see alot of websites that only state a ZX600 or ZX600R in the 86, eventhough you cannot rely on everything you find I guess.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Finding any plastic for a bike that old is going to be a scavenger hunt.
As far as upgrading to change the look of the bike, the short answer is no. It will be way easier to sell your bike and buy one in a shape you like.

You could always take the sawzall to it for the hooligan approach, but if the bike is in good or better condition, it would be a shame to hack it as it approaches vintage status. (says me, but I like the old bikes!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finding any plastic for a bike that old is going to be a scavenger hunt.
As far as upgrading to change the look of the bike, the short answer is no. It will be way easier to sell your bike and buy one in a shape you like.

You could always take the sawzall to it for the hooligan approach, but if the bike is in good or better condition, it would be a shame to hack it as it approaches vintage status. (says me, but I like the old bikes!)
I totally hear ya. I am pretty good with fiberglass (auto body) but there is actually only one crack in my fairing but everything else is in great shape. I was just going for a little more modern look. Alot of my motorcycle buddies are telling me to just stick with the vintage sportbike look, so I will just go that route. I will just restore it back to stock, maybe just a couple modern things that will not take away the stock appeal.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
You should post a pic of your ride.
I was doing an image search on google and it points back to this forum on multiple hits. We have quite a few gpz owners in the howz...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info herk. I really appreciate it.
I will snap a pic of the bike and get it posted on here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can cross-reference parts at Kawasaki.com.
When using the diagrams, I find it easiest to do the Search-by-Model-Info without entering a vin or anything. Just choose a year then pick a bike from the list. Most diagram reference numbers are clickable - click the dia prt # to highlight the part number below. Clicking the part number opens a new window w other info. Click the icons for the cross-ref & supersession info.

Please note that the diagrams aren't perfect. A part w a minor change will have a different part number but it could still be useable. An example would be something such as a color change - a black part will have a different number than a silver part.

I went to the Kawasaki website following the instructions above w/o entering my VIN. Here is what I came up with, this is what is confusing me.
When I type in the year, CC ,product type, & marketing name. I type in 86, 600 cc, GPZ product and there is no GPZ600 in the marketing name. So I put in ZX600 and it says no product line. So I type in 600R and it says the same thing. I then type in just sportbike instead of GPz series, and then there is no ZX600 in 86 but there is only a 600R. When I ran my VIN it said ZX600 Ninja then took me to ZX600R parts. This is why I am getting all mixed up.
I have tried the other sites stated above in VIN searches, one does not work, one tells me it is a 86 ZX600R and the other just says ZX600.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know much about it, but I'd guess Kawasaki had dropped the GPz moniker by then.

I don't have the VIN, so I did the Search-by-Model-Info by year only.
Search-by-Model-Info -->> continue -->> choose 1986 only - nothing else -->> continue -->> choose/click Ninja 600R (that's the only logical choice for 1986) -->> the 1986 Ninja 600R = ZX600-A2.

Do your vin search again & go all the way to the diagrams.
The bike's model will be listed on the left w the marketing name in parenthesis.
I had totally forgotten a local car dealership opened a Kawasaki dealer north of town. If i were into bikes more I would have known that earlier...:lol:
Anyway the parts guy ran my VIN and gave me a print out and it states 1986 ZX600A2. Purchased on 12/06/86 in North Carolina.
He told me I can go to their website and search parts just like on the Kawasaki site.
Well it is time to start the tear down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here is a pic of the bike. Well what I am starting with. It is pretty much disassembled at the moment. Have considered just putting it back together and selling it because I really cannot get into the whole bike thing.
Don't know, we will see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts