Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on another bike. I just got a 2010 Harley-Davidson Street Glide and I love it! My 1600 Classic served me well, but I decided I wanted to move on to more of a touring style and I got a good enough deal on the street glide to grab it. I've enjoyed my time on the forums and appreciate all the help I've received.

On a side note, I do have a sissybar/backrest/luggage rack combo and some saddlebags and easy brackets I will be selling since I no longer need them if anyone is interested.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Winter Warrior
132 Posts
Just because you bought a HD doesnt mean you have to leave the forum. Does it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just because you bought a HD doesnt mean you have to leave the forum. Does it?
Nah, I'm sure I'll pop in from time to time, but I won't be here as much. Does anyone by chance know of a good H-D forum? I'm afraid I won't find a forum as awesome as this one though :-/

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
hdforums.com is one of the bigger ones. good luck with the new ride!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. So......before you go running off to HD land........how about giving us a comparison of the two?.........I have never ridden an HD and often wonder how they compare. Tell us what you like better about the two. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
May want to check out this forum also:
V-twinforums.com
--alot of good techno info.. dont let the name fool ya, it's really a HD forum in disguise. You will enjoy your Harley scoot. Drop back in later with pics :)

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Congrats! I rode my first HD this weekend and it was a SG as well. I must say that I fell in love!

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
No need to rush off! We gots several HD'ers here! We'd definitely like to hear comparisons! :biggrin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need to rush off! We gots several HD'ers here! We'd definitely like to hear comparisons! :biggrin:
Well, I'll give my first impressions, but remember that I only have a little over 100 miles on her so far, so my comparison will be slightly limited so far :p

I had a 2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic with Kawasaki windshield, cobra fatty highway bars, Kuryakyn footpegs, Cobra longs, sissybar, and power commander just for reference.

The SG feels a lot smoother and more stable on the open road. I'm not sure what the difference is, but it also feels a lot more stable and maneuverable at low speed/parking lot speeds also. Obviously there's a lot of difference in wind since I have the batwing fairing now and I also have the radio. I haven't used the cruise control yet because I'm still in the break-in period, so I don't know about that.

I like the H-D key system a lot better, use the key to unlock the ignition and then put it back in your pocket and ride. Once that key module is onlocked, you just use it like a key switch but without the key. I also like that the wheel lock is done from the column instead of a separate lock on my Vulcan.

The clutch seems to have much less travel than my Vulcan did and kicks in a lot earlier, so that took some getting used to. Also, probably the silliest things to get used to so far is that the turn signals switches are separated and on each side...left signal on left, right on right. I've more than once accidentally signalled the other direction when I meant to cancel my signal manually (which you don't have to do most of the time since they're self-cancelling if you make a turn, but not a lane-change type maneuver.)

Now for what I preferred about the Vulcan...the feel of the transmission. I don't know if it's just an issue of not being broken in or whatnot, but the tranny on the H-D feels a lot rougher than the one on my Vulcan did. Also, the shifter placement is a lot higher up and takes an actual foot lift to shift instead of on the Vulcan where I just kinda slid my heel back to shift. I'm gonna shift to synthetic oil at my first servicing though, so maybe that will smooth things out a bit. (I do plan on doing my own servicing at the moment, $240 seems like a lot for an oil change and torque check on my bolts/etc!)

So those are my impressions so far, I really do love the bike! If you have anything specific you would like to know, then feel free to ask me!

·
The 717
1,271 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. The SG is one of my favorites. Try Hdforums.com. I've been on the V-twin forum but it's not nearly as active as the HDforum. The model specific forums on HD are great. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have an 07 Street Glide and love it.

As far as the shifting goes -- just loosen the allen screw, take the shifter off, put at whatever height you wish, and tighten the screw back on. I did the same thing and took off the heel shifter while I was at it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an 07 Street Glide and love it.

As far as the shifting goes -- just loosen the allen screw, take the shifter off, put at whatever height you wish, and tighten the screw back on. I did the same thing and took off the heel shifter while I was at it.
Will that work for the heel shifter also? I feel like that's really high, I actually think that's worse for me than the actual shifter, but I do like using the heel shifter.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Will that work for the heel shifter also? I feel like that's really high, I actually think that's worse for me than the actual shifter, but I do like using the heel shifter.
Yes, you can adjust both of them. Most people who use the heel shifter adjust them so that both the front and rear are only about a 1/4" above the floorboard and you don't have to lift your foot barely at all.

·
AlohaMark
206 Posts
Well, I'll give my first impressions, but remember that I only have a little over 100 miles on her so far, so my comparison will be slightly limited so far :p

I'm gonna shift to synthetic oil at my first servicing though, so maybe that will smooth things out a bit. (I do plan on doing my own servicing at the moment, $240 seems like a lot for an oil change and torque check on my bolts/etc!)
I heard if you do it yourself you void your HD warranty.:frown:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Congrats on your new H-D. I bought a 05 fatboy last year and I too love it. I to found it easier to manauver also, I think its because most of the weight is lower than the kawi. The trans may get a little smoother with breakin but I don't think it will ever get as smooth as the kawi, H-D's are just clunky. If you do your own service work be sure to keep all reciepts, if you have to take it in for warranty work they may ask to see them and if you don't have them it can cause a problem.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! I picked up an 06 Road King Custom about two months ago and love it! It was not only my first Harley, but my first cruiser, so getting used to it took a little bit. I hear ya on the turn signals though. That was seriously one of the toughest things for me to get used to. That and the placement of the buttons on the right hand. I don't know how many times I have hit the "start" button and nothing happened before I realized I just turned on the right blinker...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much do you want for your luggage rack and what kind is it?
I'm not sure on the brand, but it's the entire sissybar/pad/luggage rack combo. Was hoping to get $100 for it. I put pictures of it in the accessory swap meet forum on here if you'd like to check it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts