Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i have one question, what do u all think is the fastest motorcycle in the world? GSXR-1000? ZX-12R? or Haybusa? I don't think i listed them all.... some ppl say it's ZX-12R.... but i am not sure......

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The suzuki hayabusa pulls off the highest top speed completely stock. I've tests between the ZX-12R and the hayabusa along with a 900HP viper. The stock 'busa took out everything. Modded 'busa's left everything else in their tracks.

and this is why I will have a 'busa to call my own after my 21st b-day.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

definitley busa right now- i have a buddy with a turbo busa and i think a F-15 is the only thing that catch it :lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a hard time believing a 900hp Viper (double stock numbers) can't edge out a stock Hayabusa. I've been 170+ in a 96 GTS with relative ease, and they've been tested (stock) at 184mph (highest I recall). Maybe they performed an acceleration test of some sort, or perhaps a standing mile run where the Busa might get there quicker.

Anyway the numbers on the ZX-12R and Hayabusa are very close (hp, torque, weight). I believe the Suzuki benefits from more usable power down low which helps the bike make it into its powerband up high during acceleration. For top speed (stock vs stock) I think the Busa is still the reigning champ.

Me - I'm happy doing 45mph :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
3450lb:900hp (3.83:1) versus 550lb:156hp (3.52:1) doesnt look like a great advantage to me. Now let's look at torque. 3450lb:750ft-lb (4.6:1 [low estimate]) versus 550lb:99ft-lb (5.55). And now we'll consider coeffecient of drag on both... Viper 0.35, Hayabusa 0.561. Hrm. Looks more and more likely that the 900hp Viper would downright own the Hayabusa. But wait it gets better. Lets put a 200lb rider/driver on/in each and recalculate. Ouch. Things are looking even better for the Viper.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

bring on the viper :lol: - 1/4 mile, wide open on alligator alley,whatever you want

my money is on the bike- yes the one i'm talking about has a power adder so put the
wacky gas on the v10- this bike will run 200+mph with no problem,by the time the viper
is wound up-the busa will be gone :lol:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
There is a difference between Drag Coefficient and total Drag. A shape that better penetrates the air will have a lower drag coefficient than say a flat surface but that is not the only mesure of actual air drag.

Actual air drag will be a mesure obtained by multiplying the drag coefficient by the actual frontal (drag) area of the vehicle. A mesure refered to as Cda. Obviously a viper has a much larger drag area than a Hayabusa.

Hayabusa .561 ( drag coefficient )* 6.01 ( frontal area in square feet )= Cda of 3.371

Viper .35 ( drag coefficient )*20.5 ( frontal area in square feet )= Cda of 7.175

Using these figures we can see that the Hayabusa is actually more than twice as "slippery" as the viper.

As for your weight to horse power ratio, well I don't know where you get a weight of 550 lbs for the busa, all my documentation says 478 lbs.

So using a 200 pound driver in /on each vehicle the Viper would score 4.05lbs/1hp vs the busas 4.34lbs/1hp, not enough of an advantage to overcome the inferior Cda. ( We are using the weight of a stock viper here, don't know how much weight was actually added to car to make it turn out 900hp).

Second major factor after actual wind drag would be rolling resistance, I don't have the figures but it's painfully obvious to me that the busas rolling resistance is a fraction of the vipers, which would you rather push for a mile ?.

And this in my opinion is why the viper didn't beat the Busa.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i'm no engineer - but i learned a long time ago not to race cars against bikes
i've been spanked many a time on the track by bikes in my car - so i learned the hard way
that bikes have the advantage and i can turn a pretty good 60ft time :lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bob: good post. I agree the Busa is more 'slippery' but stock gearing and hp/tq figures tell that it wont top out well compared to a 900hp Viper. Granted, like I said, the race must be acceleration or distance less than top speed (unlimited) for the bike to win. 45-160 the bike will and should win. It's above 160 where the car will start regaining ground and continue ahead of the Busa. Simple mods on the Busa, however, will mess this whole thing up ;) A co-worker just retired his juiced Busa for a Velocity Racing turbo system and finally has it back on the road. He was tired of getting passed at 210mph (him) eventhough he'd put 150ft on the turbo bikes at the start. They're regularly flying through the 8/10mi mark at 230+ now.

The Hayabusa weight was listed 'wet' from http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/

bikeaholic - I've only raced one bike in my car (before i sold it) and I think it turned out to be a 250EX...what a coincidence. Beat him pretty bad too, especially when the needle hit 130 and he had no chance of keeping up. This was before I knew what a 250EX was or that they top out just above 100. I remember thinking 'well its smallish but it has lots of plastic, and it says Ninja, so it must be quick right?'. I didn't know what to think after that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Already got it :) As you saw, they weren't racing top speed. They were backing off at about 160-165 (except maybe the sprayed one, he got the HELL out!). The Busa still had about 20mph to go in stock form before hitting the invisible wall.

So the answer is we'll never know. The tests I've seen on stock vehicles says 191 for the Hayabusa (Cycleworld June-2000) and 192 for the Viper GTS (MotorTrend May-1998). Given that one in the video was supercharged and made double the hp, I feel it's safe to say it could produce at least similar results even with the body kit.

And for the original poster, Cycleworld June-2000 says 187 for the ZX-12R.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I found it interesting that the Kawasaki 12R makes more power than the Hayabusa but the 1300 goes faster due to aerodynamics...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The brand new hayabusa's make more HP than the '99-'01's from what I hear, same aerodynamics, but they get more juice outta that motor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aikata said:
I found it interesting that the Kawasaki 12R makes more power than the Hayabusa but the 1300 goes faster due to aerodynamics...
The Busa also makes 9ft-lb more 1000rpm earlier. I read that the CBR600 has to turn at 10000rpm to make equivalent power to the Busa at 5500rpm. Crazy!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Dave 96TA said:
Aikata said:
The Busa also makes 9ft-lb more 1000rpm earlier. I read that the CBR600 has to turn at 10000rpm to make equivalent power to the Busa at 5500rpm. Crazy!
hayabusa also has 700cc's on the cbr600. Everytime I see a 'busa or hear the name I want one so much more. :twisted:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Especially when you factor in that you must spend as much as a Busa costs, for add-ons to your stock Viper, in order to close the gap between the two.

Thats why I didn't get the Viper ( oh there may have been another reason or two like lack of cash ).

1 - 20 of 130 Posts