Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when I first got my ZX-6R I said I was not going down that ugly road of exhaust and PC's and so forth. Well what did I do. Let the snake bite me again.

Whoever it was that said a PC is useless without a Dyno is absolutely correct, almost. I can get the thing to run on the stock map.

So it's back to stock almost. The jumper mod and Yoshi Mod is intact since the first week in January. The PC is running the stock map because it just will not do right with the map for the Yoshi. The K&N is gone and the factory filter is in and after what I've seen in the last few days I would not put a K&N on a dog house.

So if everything goes well for my Birthday 7/1 I will get a Dyno tune and be able to take advantage of the PC. The bike runs great now and I'm going to leave the da8n thing alone.

It's been another bad adventure and I hope someone can read this and avoid the same path. If you going to put a PC on one of these sophisticated FI bikes that's as finicky as these just wait until you have your Dyno appointment.

Nice to have him hauling the bacon again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What exactly happened? Did you lose a significant amount of power.. or.. I dont understand why you've taken your mods off. Like the K&N and exhaust an such.. Please give more detail.. Sorry if I have missed another thread on this.

·
Insect Interceptor
229 Posts
Stopped at the dealer after work and ordered a stock filter. I asked if they carried the BMC "street" filter but when he said "$36+tx", I said nevermind the aftermarket.

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was running rich and just didn't have the pop. That's the best way to say it. Now it's fixed. Read the thread on What kind of air filter are you using and check out the links.

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R, all that I've read about aftermarket filters and the power loss over what's designed from those SMART engineers I'm not messing with it anymore.

The only Mod. I've done that has worked absolutely right on my bike was the Yoshi slip on. This PC has driven me nuts. I put the zero map in so it was running on the ECU again and wow. Like new pulling the wheel in the first 2 gears. I'm going to give the stock fuel curve a try after replacing the fouled plugs from trying to run the Yoshi slip on map about 800 miles. It's to darn rich for it. I've even cleanind my pipe so I can see what it's doing.

Right now it's cutting out at 8k and up. Plugs have had it running to rich.

I also took that 15 tooth front sproket off and put the stock 16 back, This weekend I traveled about 50 miles on the interstate at 80 MPH and the thing was screaming so enough of that.

You want a sprocket? Vortex Nickel Plated even! You's look good as a stunt'er.I saw one bust his as* Friday night trying to ride his front wheel coming into an intersection. People were applauding out their windows and laughing. I was on the Nomad with the wife.

·
Insect Interceptor
229 Posts
No "stunting" here. That stuff's cute an' all but my goal is to learn to ride my bike, drag a knee and take that litre bike with all the mods on the inside.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those maps on the dynojet website are rich as hell so they're not responsible for any damage. Better to run rich than lean. Plus the exhaust valve is gone, I'll bet money you've lost some low to mid power. The dyno tune will fix that. After getting mine tuned, I compared the custom map to the map off the website. It was rich and I was basically wasting gas. Now the bike is very responsive, pulls strong in every gear. What ever you do, don't use the fuel pump accelerator feature on the pcIII. Waste of fuel as well.

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I don't like the stock map tomorrow after new plugs I'm putting in the zero map until Dyno time. I've heard that this bike is real finicky on air/fuel mixture and only the best can be done with a Dyno tune.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree, I had a small hole in my rpm band down low after installing the pipe which I knew would happen. Not only did I loose the valve but the Leo's come with a larger midpipe. After the tune, I was riding home and I kept thinking the bike was in 5th because of how responsive it was even in 6th. Let us know when you get her on the dyno.

·
Insect Interceptor
229 Posts
How does that work? Do you leave the stock ECU hooked up and zeroing out the PC runs the factory map? Or do you disconnect the stock ECU and the PC has a default factory map? Or none of the above?

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh you will here me hollering across the country. I wish I could get a good referral by some one to a place in Greenville or near by area of SC. I live 35 miles west but don't mind driving.

What all do they have to do to the bike and what is the usual cost?

·
Registered
57 Posts
How does that work? Do you leave the stock ECU hooked up and zeroing out the PC runs the factory map? Or do you disconnect the stock ECU and the PC has a default factory map? Or none of the above?
You leave everything hooked up and the PCIII has a zero map. With the zero map the pc III is invisible to the stock ECU therefore runs normal.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I think I learned my lesson modding the V2K to h3ll and back. The ZX14 performs so flawlessly out of the box, I can't see any reason to dump a ton of $$$ tying to make it better. I even like the sound of the stock exhaust funnily enough, though if anything I may swap them out down the road for a carbon fiber set that doesn't burn me when I'm waxing the chain...:wink:

I think that the manufacturer's must do a pretty complete job setting up these sportbikes, not much room left for improvement.

·
Insect Interceptor
229 Posts
Yeah but, you have a monster there. After runnin around with a litre bike for the last couple weeks, I think that if you hit a track or have a good spot with twisties, open road and no traffic, the 6's could use a little help. They are definintely more than enough for buzzin around town. If ever possible, I'd like to do the whole 9 and make it a track bike but for what I do with it now, it's good out of the box. I doubt I could even use another 10-15 hp on the roads I ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh you will here me hollering across the country. I wish I could get a good referral by some one to a place in Greenville or near by area of SC. I live 35 miles west but don't mind driving.

What all do they have to do to the bike and what is the usual cost?
Dynojet uses an O2 sensor in the exhaust while factory pro uses a 4/5 gas sensor. They will tap off your ECU. Before my tune I threw in a fresh set of plugs with the thinking of the bike will be running near flawless condition. Meaning the plugs/tune up will last a little longer due to it not being too lean or too rich. I checked the air filter and had recently changed the oil, they want the bike to be in good running order. My bike was tuned on a factory pro using the "steady state" run. In other words they manually ran the bike at all the rpms and throttle settings on the pcIII's mapping program. That dyno has a brake/load so they can hold the bike at say 10000 rpm at any throttle setting (2%-100%). This simulates a load on the bike like riding at any speed. The new dynojets have this now. They used two full tanks, I watched every minute of it. A dyno tune can run from $200-$350, you're at the mercy of the tuner. You want someone who will spend some time on your baby and get it right.

Here's a link of my bike on a mobile dyno before I got a custom map.
YouTube - 2006 636 Leo Vince Mobile Dyno Run

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do your bike that I named (remember that?)... a favor, since you are going to get it professionally tuned. Take your K & N, or get a BMC, and your 15 front sprocket with you. If the guy is anything decent, he'll get Quick Daddy dialed-in with everything back on....and you will LOVE the results.

·
Never Been Fast Enough
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man you ought to have seen the plugs that came out today. Fouled and black as soot from that Yoshi slip on map 7 it was. Not worth a da*n.

I'm still going to stick with the stock air filter no matter what!

Why I dilly dally'd around with the 15 tooth sprocket must have been a bad brain fart one day. I like it stock much better. You feel the torque pulling out more.

I ain't taking anymore chances. It's loaded with all zero's and is going to stay that way until Dyno time. Hurry up July.

Man it runs like it's trying to leave me sitting in the road again. IIIIIIIIIII like it! Hard to control in first and second. That's just cool and more fun to ride it.

I promise I will not screw with the performance what so ever again. Except for the dyno tune.

If I get bored I'll trade for a 10.

·
Finally got my Ninja!!
611 Posts
don't know the name of the shop in greenville, but it is off hwy 29. I think they do it, if not i'll call the guys up here in spartanburg and see if they can do it for you as well. I've gotten to know just about all the guys there by name, and they know me as well when i come in.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Man you ought to have seen the plugs that came out today. Fouled and black as soot from that Yoshi slip on map 7 it was. Not worth a da*n.

I'm still going to stick with the stock air filter no matter what!

Why I dilly dally'd around with the 15 tooth sprocket must have been a bad brain fart one day. I like it stock much better. You feel the torque pulling out more.

I ain't taking anymore chances. It's loaded with all zero's and is going to stay that way until Dyno time. Hurry up July.

Man it runs like it's trying to leave me sitting in the road again. IIIIIIIIIII like it! Hard to control in first and second. That's just cool and more fun to ride it.

I promise I will not screw with the performance what so ever again. Except for the dyno tune.

If I get bored I'll trade for a 10.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts