Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i recently bought my 900 custom i new my feet were flat on the ground barely. I have a 29" inseam. For this reason i was looking at a vstar 1100 because i had better contact with the ground. I decided on the 900 because i like Kawasaki but was not counting on my rear end going numb after 30 minutes of riding.

I bought a Mustang seat and i can ride for hours with no discomfort. The problem is that i almost cannot get completely flat footed at a stop. Maybe 80% flat. I have to slide forward in the seat to get real confident. Even with my wife on the back because the angle of the seat lifts your thighs when the rear of the bike goes down 3/4 of an inch when she is onboard.

I rode ok the last four times out but i know if i stop with a slight dip under one foot i may have problems. I have normal boots with good height but i cannot see riding and walking around with 1" build up shoes.

The only three options i see is to lower the bike with maybe the scootworks kit, put the original seat back on, are just get use to riding without being flatfoot alot of times at a stop.

Anybody else ride with this issue?

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Yeah...I'm 5'10" with a 29.5" inseam and on my 1600 I have to stretch to get my heels down but I can do it. You might want to try lowering the rear by putting on some progressive shocks, maybe down and inch or so should help. The stiffness of the progressive shock when pressed hard should help with any scraping around the corners that you might be concerned about from lowering.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Start putting only your left foot down at stops. I'm 5'6", and can flat foot the bike fine, but I still only put one foot down. That's how I was taught. You can get that left side firmly planted with only a very slight lean.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
4th option: Could have bought the Corbin I have for sale.;)

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I have a 900 classic, and it has a seat height of just over 26". I think that is the lowest of any bike that size or larger. Lowering the bike is an option, and if you are good with tools there is a thread on here somewhere that shows how to make a "lowering kit". I don't have a problem with the stock seat unless I so more than 2 hours without a stop - then it gets uncomfortable. As sisooktom pointed out, in motor school we were told over and over that a good rider puts his left foot down only when absolutely necessay, and NEVER puts 2 feet down (unless he is off the bike). ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts