Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could just kick myself.

While moving things around in the garage this AM to get the VN900 out for commuting duty I knocked a 10’ long piece of 1” steel conduit off the top of an 8’ tall rack and onto the front fender of the VN2000. It made a nice 3” long crease across the top of the front fender at about a 30 degree angle as well as a few smaller dent/scuffs as it bounced across and down the fender. The wife says it doesn’t look that bad, but even in the florescent glow of the garage lights I could tell it’s not good. I might be able to buff out the scuffs but I’m betting the main dent stands out like a sore thumb in the sunlight. ****!!! :mad:

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
It must be fender damage week. I posted on this too, but mine's mostly just scraped. Pi$$er.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Call the paintless dent repair places for a cost estimate or take the fender along. I understand they have special tools for problems like this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I could just kick myself.

While moving things around in the garage this AM to get the VN900 out for commuting duty I knocked a 10’ long piece of 1” steel conduit off the top of an 8’ tall rack and onto the front fender of the VN2000. It made a nice 3” long crease across the top of the front fender at about a 30 degree angle as well as a few smaller dent/scuffs as it bounced across and down the fender. The wife says it doesn’t look that bad, but even in the florescent glow of the garage lights I could tell it’s not good. I might be able to buff out the scuffs but I’m betting the main dent stands out like a sore thumb in the sunlight. ****!!! :mad:
Kawy has your replacement fender painted to your stock color sitting in a warehouse, two days deliivery. I paid $450 for mine :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah... a $500 mistake.
It still hurts my wallet every time I think of the stupid mistake I made, even two years later. You could pick a used one off ebay, then get it painted. All said and done, you may save $200. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and get the factory fender. From the way it was explained to me, as Kawasaki does a run of bikes, they also paint spare parts and house them. Soooo, the fender you order was probably painted and stored the same year your bike was made.

Good luck,

Tony

·
Registered
269 Posts
I may be alone in thinking this ...but

It is a sign from the bike customizing gods that it is now time to do that custom paint job thats been in the back of your mind......

·
Original Oklahoma *******
38 Posts
wait...what? $450 for a front fender???

Is this your fender?

RonAyers.com

Not sure of the color...but as far as I can see they are all priced about $121 plus shipping

(That link is for a C.C. Red front fender for an '06 900 classic)

·
Registered
217 Posts
wait...what? $450 for a front fender???

Is this your fender?

RonAyers.com

Not sure of the color...but as far as I can see they are all priced about $121 plus shipping

(That link is for a C.C. Red front fender for an '06 900 classic)
As you can see from a brother vn2000 rider, fenders ain't cheap. I don't know why there is such a price gap between the two model bikes.

Is the 900 fender plastic or fiberglass?

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I got home yesterday from work the first thing I did was pull the 2000 out into the sun. The damage was not as bad as the picture I had in my head, but still not good. The main dent is a 2.5” crease across the curve of the fender. I don’t think it is something that will just pop out. I pushed pretty hard from underneath with no flex what so ever.

I tried getting the scratches out with Turtle Wax rubbing compound and my finger. I applied a good coat working delicately in a circular motion over the damaged area, waited for it to dry, and then removed with a microfiber cloth. Repeated the process twice more. At first I was pleased with the results. It removed the white streaks/scratches where the pipe skipped across the surface and minimized the deeper scratches. Then on closer inspection I found thousands of tiny swirly scratches where I had applied the rubbing compound… which kind of dulled the finish. I tried a couple of coats of wax but it didn’t help. I tried some other rubbing compound that came with my buffer (again applied with my finger) with no improvement.

I have used the same stuff on cars with great success. What the heck did I do wrong??? Is there anything that will help?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts