Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure of how to repair a deep gouge in my front fender? 99 kz1000 and I tried some plastic epoxy on it but it didn't set up well and I couldn't sand it. Give me some ideas. Hate to buy a new one over some scrapes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm assuming it's a plastic fender. Go to a auto parts store, one that sells real stuff for auto body work like (Imron, Acrylic Enamel paints), and get the 2 part flexible bumper filler and repair compound. This stuff mixes like epoxy, it fills and bonds great. It's best to sand it using a block and lots of water so the paper doesn't load up (use the black wet-or-dry paper). Then prime and paint.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I'm assuming it's a plastic fender. Go to a auto parts store, one that sells real stuff for auto body work like (Imron, Acrylic Enamel paints), and get the 2 part flexible bumper filler and repair compound. This stuff mixes like epoxy, it fills and bonds great. It's best to sand it using a block and lots of water so the paper doesn't load up (use the black wet-or-dry paper). Then prime and paint.
:wink:Good idea there Star, I was about to go old school on the fix and suggest fiberglass, but I like your idea better! PS. This hasnt changed,any time you mix an epoxy resin, the more you work it after the initial mixing of hardener and resin, the less likely it is to fully harden.Once applied, leave it alone at 70+deg. temp.:wink: Hey High-C,hope we didnt rub you the wrong way the other day, we get carried away sometimes,please dont be offended. In fact, plans are being made to gather in the Ozarks this spring and you are invited to come on down and sip some corn and fish and eat! Theres a post on the "rides and events" thread.Thats where the plans and discussions will be,"come on down!":wink:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the bumper repair epoxy idea, you may have hit the nail on the head with (over mixing) I've had this stuff come out harder than Supermans knee cap in the past and always make sure that I have equal parts, a little cool in the shop but never hardened all the way after 18 hours. I've used it on Goldwing bags and fairings with great results in the past.

As for the razzing, not a problem at all. I'll look forward to reading up on the event even if I can't be there. I'd love to bring a pole and a 22 for some pot luck. Thanks guys

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure of how to repair a deep gouge in my front fender? 99 kz1000 and I tried some plastic epoxy on it but it didn't set up well and I couldn't sand it. Give me some ideas. Hate to buy a new one over some scrapes.
yeah thats exactly what i was gonna say. my bad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a clue about that one?????????????? Merry Christmas all!

·
Registered
79 Posts
well... lol i posted somthing without realizing all the other posts, the edited it poorly lol.

if you have a 250 bayou let me know i need your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts