Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
07 Black 900 Custom
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, and Happy New Year!!!

I was wondering if anyone can answer my question regarding the 650R?

Hopefully if this year my job picks up and God permits, I would like to get myself a 650R, but there are a few things I would like to know.

1) I have a 900 Custom cruiser, is it alot different then the cruiser to handle or should I start on something smaller?

2) Can it be lowered?, as I am only 5'3

3) And if it can be lowered, does the dealer accommodate that service for you at the store, or will I have to go someplace else?

Would love to hear helpful information or comments!

·
Registered
4 Posts
never ridden a cruiser before, but i can answer one of your questions...

yes, the 650 can be lowered. dealer should be able to do it for you.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Tely,
You'll find it a lot easier than your cruiser to handle. I have the 650 and also my 1500 classic. It's different, but not hard to get used to.

Talk to Ninja_Wendy about the 650. She just got hers. I think she said the reach wasn't bad and she's also looking at a lower seat. I'm sure you can lower the 650 though.

·
07 Black 900 Custom
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Roy and Dave.....I will do that Dave, Talk to Ninja_Wendy. I didnt know you had a 650R?......I thought that maybe since it is a sport bike, that even thou I have a 900 the throttle would be more delicate and respond in a faster way then a cruiser.

Do you have pic of your 650R? would love to see it!....I just love looking at pictures of that bike. I was looking at getting the black one, because I love the combination of the red rims..but I also love the red and blue one.
Lets see what happens, hopefully I will be able to do so by the middle of this year.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Lowering a 650R is incredibly annoying. It involved either a low seat or a shorter shock. There are no good lowering links for it.

But you should be fine coming from a cruiser, I know several people over on the 650R boards that have done it

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Going from a Cruiser to a sport is definitely a change. It took me a week or two to get the different riding position down but you'll be fine too. The 650 will have similar power to the 900, but WAY more top end.

If you know someone with a metal shop you might be able to coax them to make you a longer set of links to lower the back... ;)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Going from a Cruiser to a sport is definitely a change. It took me a week or two to get the different riding position down but you'll be fine too. The 650 will have similar power to the 900, but WAY more top end.

If you know someone with a metal shop you might be able to coax them to make you a longer set of links to lower the back... ;)
The 650 has a top end of about 130-140 indicated stock. I'd figure the 900 has at least that.

And unfortunately, you can't lower the 650R like you can other bikes with links

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Thank you Roy and Dave.....I will do that Dave, Talk to Ninja_Wendy. I didnt know you had a 650R?......I thought that maybe since it is a sport bike, that even thou I have a 900 the throttle would be more delicate and respond in a faster way then a cruiser.

Do you have pic of your 650R? would love to see it!....I just love looking at pictures of that bike. I was looking at getting the black one, because I love the combination of the red rims..but I also love the red and blue one.
Lets see what happens, hopefully I will be able to do so by the middle of this year.
There's pictures of my 650 on my bikepics link on my sig line. you can check those.

the 650 is closer to the 900 than other sportbikes. By that, I mean it has a bit more torque lower so you don't have to twist quite as much to run it in lower RPMs. it has a good power punch around 8k RPM and pulls a bit harder from there up.

Nathan....I'm not sure what the top end is for the 650, but mine has been up to 120 so far. the 900 won't come close to the 650. it'll top out about 105-110 because it just runs out of steam on the top end. Not enough RPM range.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Nathan....I'm not sure what the top end is for the 650, but mine has been up to 120 so far. the 900 won't come close to the 650. it'll top out about 105-110 because it just runs out of steam on the top end. Not enough RPM range.
Really? Wow, I thought the 900 could get up to about what a stock 650R could do... Goes to show you I know next to nothing about riding a cruiser :p

I know my 650R tops out at 142 actual. Stock should be 130-140 indicated at sea level... I want to get to seal level to open mine full up

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
lol...you're outa control! I only know about 120 because my son confessed to it! Personally I hit 110 and backed off.

As the the 900, it's like most cruisers. by the time you reach higher speeds the HP and torque are starting to fall off. That combined with the wind force, and it just doesn't have the power to keep pushing the bike faster.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Try shaving the seat which is what I have done for my last 3 bikes it works a ton...Apparently, you can lower the 650R as I have read on some other sites but no one posted a link for where the links are...You can also lower the front but if you do, you need to do the rear as well. Nothing wrong with lowering the bike for your height as many people keep stating...Actually one of the other ladies on this forum lowered her 650R and loved it...You will be fine on the 650R...You have riding experience on your 900...Now you have to get used to the sportbike position.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Try shaving the seat which is what I have done for my last 3 bikes it works a ton...Apparently, you can lower the 650R as I have read on some other sites but no one posted a link for where the links are...You can also lower the front but if you do, you need to do the rear as well. Nothing wrong with lowering the bike for your height as many people keep stating...Actually one of the other ladies on this forum lowered her 650R and loved it...You will be fine on the 650R...You have riding experience on your 900...Now you have to get used to the sportbike position.
The only lowering 'links' for an ex650R are ones sold on ebay, and someone over on ninja650.com's forums tried them, declared them not worth it, and took them off. The best way to lower a 650R is with a shorter Works or Hagon shock. Front end lowering is easy to accomplish though :p

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
The only lowering 'links' for an ex650R are ones sold on ebay, and someone over on ninja650.com's forums tried them, declared them not worth it, and took them off. The best way to lower a 650R is with a shorter Works or Hagon shock. Front end lowering is easy to accomplish though :p
That is another option via suspension...I am sure it cost a nice dollar though but hey, riding comfortably goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Try shaving the seat which is what I have done for my last 3 bikes it works a ton...
I agree. Always shave/lower the seat first. That way you don't screw up the suspension and handling. If you need more after that, well... In my book, you're either opening the wallet wide, or a can of worms.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I believe Kawi makes a lower seat already just in case you'd rather do that than take a chance at ruining the stock seat. At the very least, do what Wendy did and get a spare seat off ebay and try it on that. I know that when she tried shaving the seat, she wasn't satisfied with it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So Tely, how low do you need to go? I'm 5'4" and Keith just adjusted the socks for me to be able to ride our 650R. I'm not flat footing it but with my boots and good balance, I can manage at stop at lights and the such with very little problem. I'm very careful around gravel and inclines but I've been riding it quite well. My usual ride is the Mean Streak and I find the trottle on the 650R is very tight. What I mean by that is you let off the throttle and the bike decelerates quickly. Some might find that fine but I fine it nerve racking, but I think it is what you get used to. Anyways just my 2 cents....8)

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I am very short as well and i have a ZX6... i tell ya what.... its not that big of a deal to just use on foot.... the only time it gives me a problem when trying to back up..... if you cant do it... then lower it.... i am still against it.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
1) I have a 900 Custom cruiser, is it alot different then the cruiser to handle or should I start on something smaller?
Smaller? No.

Different handling? Oh my! YES! World of difference!

Cruiser and Handling should seldom ever be mentioned in the same sentence. :wink: Both cruisers and sport bikes are fun to ride, but they are on two opposite ends of the spectrum.

And to tell the truth, the 650R isn't a great handling bike (but it handles way better than a cruiser). :smile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts