Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone FI a carbed bike? Inline 4.
I'm not really sure where I would start. And I'm just doing preliminary research right now.
But my friend misses his old bike but can't deal with carbs anymore, so I want to put together a project bike.
-Goal isn't to mod the bike for anything more that throttle response and user friendlyness at this point.(I'm not trying to break the sound barrier or do anything specifically funky).
-No time frame as of yet.
-I would wait for the parts to be avalible at a reasonable price. But the cost factor doesn't matter.
-I'm not sure that once I got all the hardware what software I sould use.
There are many different ways to tune a bike computerwise and vesitility would be my main concerne.
I was thinking Mega Squirt bc its so tunable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a msii v3. And just read a blog on someone who did the same thing as I want to. But the blog was incomplete. Its for and FZR1000, but the guy was a Brit. that had parts for a Bimota FI system avalible to him. I doubt that I will be able to find those parts.
I was, at this point wondering if an early R1 efi set-up would be the way to go. Bc it has all the efi wiring and computer so I wouldn't have to completely rewire the entire bike to the ms. But could wire up an R1 system to the FZR with R1 hardware and software and wire the ms to that set-up.
At this point the hardware is the most important thing.(got pritty far in a half hour).

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Umm this sounds interesting :)

I would have a good look around at different Throttle Bodies as you will need to use the ECU from the same Bike to run that and all the associated Sensors used in FI application.

Getting the Timming right will be a challenge.

I would stay away from Bikes utilising a Cam Position Sensor as you are gonna struggle fitting one in the cylinder head, May as well stick with a wasted spark :)

:worthless:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey this is the closest that I can come to getting you pics.
Yamaha FZR1000 Injection Conversion: Overview
This guy used throttlebodies and injectors from a Bimota with is pritty much a juiced up EFI version of the 94 95FZR's. But if I had a Bimota avalible to me than I would just ride it.lol

Thanks for the info on the cps. I have pritty ok knowledge of modded efi cars thats what the msII was for. But you know how it goes.
I don't know all of the nessary ins and outs of fi bikes or even all there hardware.
What I do have to start with is the msII, Jimstim from ms, all the free downloadable programs in my laptop for the ms. A wideband 02 sensor.I can turn a bolt, weld steal and solder. I have a garage avalible to me at all times and all the nessary tools.
I don't want to switch powerplants. and I'm not going to do th fi to my bike, So that meens that right now I'm thinking wrecked R1 plus beat up to not so beet up 94-95usa FZR1000.
The engine area of the FZR's are pritty big as apposed to the new SS bikes and the newer R1's. This is where my knowledge stops.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Umm this sounds interesting :)Getting the Timming right will be a challenge.
As for the timing I'm not at all too concerned with tuning(shocking I know). But once the set-up is complete and the MS is setup and tested on the jimstim(stimulator is the electronic test bench for the msII), than I have no problem taking the bike for a dyno tuning session where ever that may be.

I wouldn't go to the lengths that I intend to then do a seat of the pants tune on the road. But thats way ahead of myself.

Stage1-compiling data and info. Thats it for now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Find throttle bodies which A. plug into the stock manifolds B. can be easily respaced to fit in the head. The CB1100F guys running FI are using Megasquirt for their computer.
As of yet have allot of research to do to find the dimentions that I need. And I was hoping some of you could direct me to a good source for this info.
I've currently looked at the EXUP sites. And I'm waiting for account activation, can't even search there archives without an account.
But the only thing I know of that will fit an FZR is the Bimota throttlebodies.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Anyone FI a carbed bike? Inline 4.
I'm not really sure where I would start. And I'm just doing preliminary research right now.
But my friend misses his old bike but can't deal with carbs anymore, so I want to put together a project bike.
-Goal isn't to mod the bike for anything more that throttle response and user friendlyness at this point.(I'm not trying to break the sound barrier or do anything specifically funky).
-No time frame as of yet.
-I would wait for the parts to be avalible at a reasonable price. But the cost factor doesn't matter.
-I'm not sure that once I got all the hardware what software I sould use.
There are many different ways to tune a bike computerwise and vesitility would be my main concerne.
I was thinking Mega Squirt bc its so tunable.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/95445-converting-1985-zx-900-efi.html :newyear: A2turbo did it to a gpz! nice guy ,sure he could help. just pm him

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Umm this sounds interesting :)

I would have a good look around at different Throttle Bodies as you will need to use the ECU from the same Bike to run that and all the associated Sensors used in FI application.

Getting the Timming right will be a challenge.

I would stay away from Bikes utilising a Cam Position Sensor as you are gonna struggle fitting one in the cylinder head, May as well stick with a wasted spark :)

:worthless:

more importantly the TB's need to be frome an engine of the same HP and thus fuel requirement dont need to bother with getting everything from one bike its not neccassary. Microsquirt is the ECU to use. you can go fuel only or spark as well. it extreamly open ended as to what sensors to use (innovate wideband and controller is highly recommened) or not and totally programmable I used the tuner studio from DIY autotune and have had easy success!
by the way elr658 Dr. house is over rated and under educated some things you need to have a MGuyver around for! :grouphug:
for more info see this post http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/projects-how-write-ups/95445-converting-1985-zx-900-efi.html

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Looking at your bike, I was originally wondering the wisdom of running one little K&N, but it really works as an interim step to turboing that ninja. I'll bet the GTS throttle bodies will work on an FZR1000 under megasquirt. Clay, there's an FI thread at Honda CB750/900/1100F SuperSport Website in the Performance Technical section. Look for posts by PGSmick.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A2turbo-Cool I've got all the same programs, and even the same computer haha. And I guess I could find the sensors as I go. I did read that the GM's were almost always the way to go.

elr658-post pics of your car, I'd like to see the galant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts