Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went on a short day trip of 250 miles today and am kind of dumbfounded about my gas milage and all. First off, I've got an 04 meanstreak and I usually only fill the tank to right below the metal part that extends down into the tank. Anyways, the tank is supposed to be a 4.5 gallon tank and the dummy light isn't supposed to come on until you have 0.9 gallons left. So........I drove probably 114 miles from fill up and my dummy light started coming on and going off, coming on and going off, then stayed lit a pretty good while. So I fill up once again and it only took 2.6 gallons to fill it to right below the metal thing. Am I supposed to fill the tank up over the metal thing or is my dummy light malfunctioning? Any clues?? Thanks in advance. Jeremy

·
Registered
741 Posts
My idiot light will come on about 140 miles on average and usually takes about 2 1/2 gals to fill it I have been filling it right to the brim if I am going to ride it for some distance after. Otherwise, the gas could possibly expand.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also had a problem of that kind in the beginning. But later on, it seemed to be adjusted by itself and now it looks to be quite accurate. I remember once when my gas ran out on the road (luckily I could roll on to a gas station :D ). The 1600 Classic tank should fit 5.3 gallons. On complete fill up, it took only about 4.8 gallons. I'm pretty sure while driving a straight road, there can't be left 0.5 gallons in the tank. And I usually fill the tank until gas reaches over that "metal thing" which can be seen on the bottom of the neck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've got over 2000 miles on my 04 Mean Streak after only 3 weeks or so. Anyway, the gas light is quite a joke in my opinion...I think it begins coming on when there's over 2 gallons left in the tank...Mine usually starts coming on steady right at around 100 miles. I've checked the mileage and I'm still getting about 35mpg even with my power mods.

Anyway, I've yet to put more than 3.9 gallons in the tank. I usually just fill up soon after the light comes on. It's definitely an early warning, but that's cool...Just something to get used to is all. My Hayabusa has a guage along with an idiot light for fuel.

FYI...I believe the owners manual says the light will come on when there's approximately 1.5 gallons left in the tank, not .9...if that's the case you might wanna get that checked.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I ride an 04 MS too. My light has came on from anywhere between 85 to 125 miles. Depending what kind of riding I do. I have always filled up as soon as the light comes on. It usually will only take a little over 3 gallons. I have about 1050 miles on it so far and the mileage is getting better than when I first bought it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts