Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past winter I purchased a 2006 1600 classic with 5000 miles. I don't think the previous owner had any of the regular maintenance done. I changed the final drive gear oil and it was almost black, is this normal? Also it almost looked like it had a silver tint to it, but i saw no chunks of metal. Then I went for a half hour ride and checked the temp of the hub and it was warm but not burning hot, which I think is normal.

Should I be concerned? I plan on putting a few hundred miles on the new oil and drain it to see its condition.

Thanks for the help!

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
Newbie to the site myself but not to MC, my previous bike had shaft drive and when i took it in for yearly check up at 15000, bought with 10000, the mech said the drive oil is good for 10000, i believe the drive oil is 90 weight, dark when it is new and smells bad to start, the drive will get warm when in use, you just changed, should be good for 10000 miles so have fun and go ride, stuck here in dallas with a winter storm so ride some for me.:smile:
I am sure most are out riding right now but someone will correct me if I am wrong (you can count on that)

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
The final drive is a bevel gear. The gear lube will be black with a kind of golden sheen and have a burnt smell when it's ready to change. The golden color is from metal being ground off the gears. As long as there aren't flakes of metal it's normal.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
90 weight oil is what was in my last truck's differential. It's totally different smell & look than standard engine oil. Looks like it should've been drained out of an old steam locomotive. Strong asphalt scent to it.

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
90 weight oil is what was in my last truck's differential. It's totally different smell & look than standard engine oil. Looks like it should've been drained out of an old steam locomotive. Strong asphalt scent to it.
That is exactly what it looked like and smelled like when it came out.
Thanks for the correction. Still on a long learning curve.

Love your avaitar BTW.

·
V 2win
444 Posts
This past winter I purchased a 2006 1600 classic with 5000 miles. I don't think the previous owner had any of the regular maintenance done. I changed the final drive gear oil and it was almost black, is this normal? Also it almost looked like it had a silver tint to it, but i saw no chunks of metal. Then I went for a half hour ride and checked the temp of the hub and it was warm but not burning hot, which I think is normal.

Should I be concerned? I plan on putting a few hundred miles on the new oil and drain it to see its condition.

Thanks for the help!
change mine once a year, always blacker than a coalies booty.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
That is exactly what it looked like and smelled like when it came out.
Thanks for the correction. Still on a long learning curve.

Love your avaitar BTW.
Save it in a clean container and have it analyzed if you are concerned about the quantity of "shiny parts"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts