Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Alaska Grown
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just could not wait anymore, I had to take the bike out today even though there is still lots of snow on the ground. The hard tops are clear but the dirt roads are still frozen except for the top 1/2 inch which is wet mud. My drive way is still snow bound.

I moved the bike out to a spot on the driveway where there was clear ground because the two weeks ago I parked there after the car got covered with ash from the volcano. After the ash fell off the car it turned the snow black and made that spot melt faster. I had dug a little trench in the snow to get the bike down the driveway to the road. Thought I was all set until the back tire got on the snow and slid right out form under me! Landed on the crash bars/floor boards so no damage done. Picked it up and ever so carefully walked it down the rest of the driveway. Once on the road it was a little better but the bike was still sliding but not too bad. Finally got to black top and all was well!!

This is only my second season so I had to get familar with riding again. Noticed I was looking right in front of me a couple times instead of where I wanted to go. Once on the pavement it started to come back and did it feel GREAT to be back in the saddle!! After about 30 minutes I was crusing again, I even scrapped a floorboard in a turn for the first time. I stopped at a highway turnout and another bike pulled in, another Vulcan 900, and we started talking. A couple minutes later two more bikes pulled in, sport bikes but I didn't see what kind, and we all talked about how long the trench was we had to cut in the driveway to get out. One of the guys lives on the airforce base and they are not allowed to ride on base yet so he walked his bike 4 miles to the front gate so he could ride today!! That's a biker!!

Headed back home and just about lost it in the mud, managed to keep it up but jammed my ankle a bit. And of course got stuck in the driveway, going downhill was scary but doable, uphill not so doable! I was about ten feet up the driveway when the back tire went out of the trench and stuck in the snow and just spun and started sliding back down the driveway. Well got the back tire in the trench and moved five feet before it came out again. Moved it back in the trench and started agian. Eventually got it into the garage.

Maybe another two weeks before normal driving but I just could not wait. On the plus side I was pretty amazed because I parked the bike in September and never charged the battery and it started right up first time. That's amazing because on more than two occassions the garage door was opened all day. Apparently it went back up after I thought it was closed, must have hit something on the way down becasue the safety feature makes it go back up when it hits something. Well I saw it going down and left for work. Came home and garage door wide open and it was -40 both time!

Well this may be a rambling post but it feels good to be able to write about riding instead of reading like I've been doing for the last 8 months! The great consulation of the short riding season up here is that when it is riding season, 24 hours of daylight and awesome scenery!

Ride safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
nice story... yeah a true biker, to walk it 4 miles to ride... I guess being all cooped up, you will do anything..

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Maybe you need a dirtbike with big nobby tires for the in between time.

Funny story, thanks for sharing.

·
Alaska Grown
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good gravey - today it is supposed to be in the 60s

I about hurt myself to get out and ride in the snow and today it is supposed to get into the 60s and possibly into the 70s later this weeks!!

Maybe it was a good thing because the frozen mud, which was a little drivable, will be undrivable unfrozen mud for a couple weeks anyway.

We all live in special places and must take to good with the bad, right!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts