Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the ZX-6R getting it's butt kicked in the 600cc SuperSport category for a few years now, it's nice to finally see that SportRider has made it King for this year with the new 6R. No, I don't know why I'm so loyal to Kawi but it started to get annoying reading how the R6 is so superior (and it is a nice bike) and then to see how Kawi lost power and gained weight for '07 and '08 (no offense to you members who own one) and then lose to the CBR600RR (which is a nice bike also).

So now it's '09 and Kawi has the strongest engine and is lighter!! And it won definitively...yay!!

·
Max BiggiVeL
234 Posts
That rider almost won the other day also, but he dropped from 1st to 3rdwithin the last 7 seconds of the final lap. I was like "WTF"

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It is indeed nice to see that the 6R is back to where it should have been all along. The past few years have definitely been lackluster, which is rather curious. It seems like whatever plagued Kawi for those years is catching up to the other brands now. From all I can tell it's been the emissions requirements that castrated the 6Rs, particularly the 07-08 models. Maybe Kawi's engineering has finally found a way around that. It sounds like they've made vast improvements in the handling too.

When I was looking at bikes last year the #1 thing that kept me from buying the 07 6R was the lack of usable power compared to the 03 6RR I had at the time. The ergos felt nice and it handled like a dream (to me), and the braking on those bikes has always been one of the strong points of a Kawi 600.

At some point I will definitely be taking a test ride on the new 6R. I've GOT to see what the hype is all about.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i think Kawi got unnecessarily dissed for 07-08. it was down on power slightly, but that was fixed with the jumper mod (and who ISNT going to do that? LOL). even the mags said that brought the power up to the level (and over!) of the competitors, so problem solved! along with high praises for the braking, handling, and ergos, the only thing holding the 6r back was the weight.

i dunno...maybe im biased because i have an 08, but i just didnt think it was fair! but the 09 is definitely a step up, and the other guys are gonna have to work hard to beat it. more power, lighter weight, same great brakes, and better handling. it doesnt look as good IMO...but i could overlook that if the rest of the package was there. now the R6 and CBR are down on power comparatively, and theyre going to be looking at the 6r and saying "what did they do to keep it emissions friendly AND have huge power?"

next year should be interesting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts