Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I finally got my act straight, lol. I had a "buddy" give me a 2001 Bayou 220 and it is red and turned out to be locked up tighter than Locktite, lol. So I found another Bayou. It is a 1999 Kawasaki Bayou 220 that runs and drives that I picked up right down the road from my house for $300. It just needed a new plug, changed the oil filter/oil and it purrs baby. Not bad for $300, huh? So now I have 2, one for parts and one to play on.

this is the new one..

2nd pic...

3rd pic..

the locked up 220

Just found a motor on ebay for under $400, so I may even try to fix the red one too, what do you think? Oh, does the motor I buy have to be year specific to the 2001 to work or can I use a 1990 model 220 engine???

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Mechanically, the two engines are the same. Where you can run into trouble is if you are in a state that requires safety or emission inspections and the engine number assembly does not match the frame number. They allow you to move up in model years, but not back, so could fine you or red tag the unit.

The cost for you to replace the two gaskets, the piston and rings will be under a $100 if you do the work yourself. That way you do not end up with an Ebay anchor that has some other problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.