Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after weeks of compairison shopping, internet research and asking questions on this forum I have finally decided to go with the V&H prp pipe, Thunder air kit(round plain) power commander tuned and mapped by Johnny Cheese. It may take awhile longer to get all the parts together but thats my plan----just hope it's not to dang loud! Want POWER hate noise! Johnny Cheese really has impressed me with his expertise on these bikes. I will let you all know how it turns out in a future post. Safe riding to all and have a great 4th of July weekend wherever you may roam!
Lonestar

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

oooooo mannnn :shock: :shock:

you are set bud :lol: that is a hot setup - your jaws are fixin to hurt from grinning :lol:

its worth the wait :wink: -hurry up warranty i'm next :lol:

if he's mapping then you should get his dyno charts-wait till you see that :shock: johnny is awesome! another thing i like about thunder is it don't
interfere with youe leg at all-at least on me it did'nt
these tuners are getting to be like builders,as soon as a good one comes
along somebody else will follow - but for my money ON THESE BIKES
his skills are the best around here imo :wink:

·
Registered
837 Posts
lonestar..you been going to town..i was off for 2 weeks and did'nt never see you or your bro.oh by the way everybody..lonestar and i worked together for about 6 months and became good friends...funny how he found us here and pm'd me bout my 1500 and i realized it was him 8)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reply to bud8fan

Hey bud8!,
No I haven't gone into town but once inthe last week. The water has been too high to get in and out of this cursed ranch without a boat or 4 wheel drive! Hopefully it will dry-up soon. When will you be back down in our old area drilling again? I have not been contacted by Elpaso at all since our last job.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've been doing the same thing as you Lonestar- looking at exhausts, intakes, and all the goodies. Had a guy who had the thunder kit, 3" Hard Kromes, and power commander put on send me his dyno chart.

As expected- more hp and more torque, but I'm looking at where the power is coming in the rmp range. The graph for the bike after the mods starts about 500 rpm higher than stock. So from idle to 2000 rpm the stock bike actually has more hp and ft/lbs of torque, but the modded bike will leave it behind when it starts to unwind through the rev limited 5900 rpm.

So more power past 2000 rmp, but you rob yourself low end ie starting power? :evil: Just thinking aloud for the group and trying to get some commentary.

BTW- doesn't the Thunder kit mean that you have a big empty space where the left ( :?: ) stock filter used to be.??!?!?!?

Phatboy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

phatboy-your point is valid,every bike is different and i believe that
that chart is showing how THAT bike responded other bikes will show
where the lines never cross and performance will be + from idle but from what i've seen mod vs stk starts out pretty close,only until some air gets moving does the power develope.tuning is a art imo-i bet that bike could
show a slighty different run if it was done again under different conditions
of with some more mapping-i don't know if that bike was tuned with usb
either,if not that is more accurate and precise imo-until i started racing
my car a little i never gave tuning the credit it deserves :roll: i just bolted stuff on and expected it to haul a$$ :lol: not until i was shown how to
get real results thru dyno runs and exhaust readings and tweaking air fuel
mixes did i finally understand why i was slow :lol:

what hp/tq increases did that bike show overall? that would be MY setup
for this 1600(thunder,hard krome,pcIIIusb) i like it the best for looks and
perfromance.at that low of a rpm where the power loss is - i'm not sure
you'd feel it unless you were launching the bike for 60' ft times

and yes it will leave a space where the other cover was-which brings up another question ? why has'nt anyone just used a empty cover on that
side to balance the look-i don't really like that part-i like the look of
intakes on both sides-surley you can fabricate some kind of bracket?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phatboy,
I appreciate your info. While I was researching the different pipes I spent alot of time on the phone talking to Johnny Cheese Performance Cycles and to various pipe companies. The one thing everyone agreed on was that the best"preformance" pipe currently produced for these bikes is the V&H Pro Pipe HS. Also that this pipe while much louder than stock is not as loud as 99% of the 2 into 2 straight or drag pipes on the market. I much prefer the "look" of conventional dual pipes on the V twin engine but know from past experiance how annoying the sound can get after about 100 miles on the Hwy at 75-80 mph. I loved the inc. in power on my 800 but (cobra slash cut) the pipes were too loud on the road. I'm really hoping that the PrpPipe will be a milder sound. As far as dyno numbers , thats all they are to me-I know Johnny Cheese will get every thing he can out of this bike with what I'm putting on it. Some reviews of the Pro Pipe say it's sound is too loud some say they love it - guess I'll just have to get use to it because it's on order! Sure wish you could always check these things out better before you buy. The websites "sound bites" are just about worthless, there can be no substitution for actually riding or hearing your model of bike with the pipes on it .
Have A Great 4th of July And Ride Safe!
Lonestar

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wheel rear hp 63.8 @ 4500 rpm
ft/lbs of torque 86 @ 3000 rpm

stock rwhp 55 @ 5000 rpm
stock torque 75 @ 2500 rpm

This was a dyno man tuning the bike on the usb power commander. My numbers for rpms and stock numbers are approximate- just looking at the graph and guessing =/ E-mailed u the dyno charts Bike.

Phatboy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts