Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just Hangin Out
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my bike back today. It had been in the shop for the last couple of weeks getting the stator changed. Initially the shop had told me it took the regulator with it, but when I went to pick it up they said they were wrong and the regulator was good so they didn't have to change it out. For those that may have to get this done in the future by a shop all total I paid $763.27 for parts and labor. I know, I know I could have attempted the job myself and saved some $$$ over taking it to the shop. Honestly though I am just glad to have the bike back and can start riding it daily again and leave the vette parked in the garage. :biggrin:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm "looking forward" to the day I got to have this done. :mad: How many miles are on your bike? I've heard some say that they were able to get them re-wound somewhere and that it was more reliable then buying the OEM piece of junk they put in there. I'm going to try to replace my own when the time comes, doesn't look too bad from what I can tell.

·
Just Hangin Out
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm "looking forward" to the day I got to have this done. :mad: How many miles are on your bike? I've heard some say that they were able to get them re-wound somewhere and that it was more reliable then buying the OEM piece of junk they put in there. I'm going to try to replace my own when the time comes, doesn't look too bad from what I can tell.
I had 16,123 on the bike when it went bad. From what I can tell it went all of a sudden also. I was out riding, stopped somewhere, bike fired up no problem. Made another stop and the bike would not start again without a jump. Looking at the service manual it honestly doesn't look like that difficult of a job, I just didn't want to risk it myself since I had never done anything like that before and finding the time between working all day, school at night and family on the weekends was very difficult.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm just too cheap to spend that kind of money every other year (assuming they crap out every 16000 miles or so) so I'll figure out how to do it, even though I'm no mechanic. Same for the valve shims, I just got all shim kit last week, waiting for it to warm up a bit before I tackle it though. I need to snoop around more though and see about getting a stator rewound. I think someone on this forum said someone did it for like $150. A new OEM stator goes for like $373.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.