Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seems difficult to find neutral at a stop with engine running.
Any tips?

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Really? I downshift to first by the time I'm stopped and then just tap the heel shift into neutral. Never have a problem. Maybe something is wrong? How many miles do you have?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
You should always downshift even if you don't use the engine for braking. The Vulcan tranny needs to be moving to shift easily.
I never use neutral at a stoplight.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
134 Posts
I always just shift down gears till I hit first at the lights or junction.
If I'm at lights, I like to put it into neutral, stretch the legs a bit etc etc.

·
Alf not Elf
3,412 Posts
You should always downshift even if you don't use the engine for braking. The Vulcan tranny needs to be moving to shift easily.
I never use neutral at a stoplight.

+1

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I always just shift down gears till I hit first at the lights or junction.
If I'm at lights, I like to put it into neutral, stretch the legs a bit etc etc.
:confused: Why does it need to be in neutral for that?

Anyway (back on topic ;) ), as others have said, if the bike is in first, it should always go up into neutral with a tap up of the shifter...never had a problem getting either of my Kawi's into neutral, so there may be something wrong with yours (or you aren't in first).

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
With kawasaki's positive neutral finder, it should be easy.. the only thing you should be able to do from first gear at a stop is to shift into neutral. It should not allow you to shift into anything other than from first to neutral (or vice versa) when you are stopped.

If you stopped while in a gear other than first, it can be difficult to then shift down through the gears back to first or to get to neutral due to the way the motorcycle tranny is designed. In order to shift through each gear, the gear dog teeth on both transmission shafts must be aligned correctly. Normally the gears are spinning when you're moving, so that allows them connect/mesh easily. If you're stopped with the clutch in, the gears are not spinning, and if the gears did not stop at a properly aligned point, you will not be able to shift. If you let the clutch out a little bit, it starts turning the shaft so the dogs can align, at which point you're able to shift. The best 'habit' to have is to downshift to first before coming to a complete stop. You should then have no issues shifting to neutral from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've found that getting from first to neutral at a stop can be difficult if the gears don't line up as GreenDragon said. There are times when I've been stopped, trying to find neutral and have passed it to second. Solved the problem by moving the bike forward or backward a few inches. This usually does the trick for me. Also, I've never had problems with my tranny, knock on wood.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I love the PNF. First to neutral is just a tap on the heel shifter - everytime. I really don't even have to look for the green light, I can tell by the sound/feel - but I do anyways.

+1 GreenDragon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
maybe I should already know this... but why shift to neutral at a stop light? Are you doing this every time?

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
maybe I should already know this... but why shift to neutral at a stop light? Are you doing this every time?
Its bad practice, but many people do it anyway. I've done it once when I needed my clutch hand to adjust other gear...other than that, I never take it out of gear. Don't see the point...only thing it frees up is your clutch hand...which you can stretch all you want while on the road.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I only do it once I know a car is stopped behind me. Maybe not the best practice but I do it anyways. I typically only do it at lights I know last a long time.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
If you don't put it in neutral, how are you going to be able to lean back, cross your arms, scowl, and look badass? :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never said "stopped at a light or a stop sign" or in traffic at all for that matter.

However there are times when one would like to have use of the left hand without shutting the engine off.

I always downshift to first before the bike comes to a stop in traffic or in a parking lot. It's just a good habit.

My bike has 10K miles with no issues what so ever, my guess is I'm shooting through neutral to second gear for some reason.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
I never said "stopped at a light or a stop sign" or in traffic at all for that matter.

However there are times when one would like to have use of the left hand without shutting the engine off.

I always downshift to first before the bike comes to a stop in traffic or in a parking lot. It's just a good habit.

My bike has 10K miles with no issues what so ever, my guess is I'm shooting through neutral to second gear for some reason.
So you're trying to get into neutral while rolling? If that's the case you either can't or it's more difficult. I've tried a couple times to go into neutral while rolling myself and haven't been able to do it. *shrugs*

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I've been able to bump mine into neutral while rolling on a fairly regular basis. It's hard to do that half bump w/o putting it into 1st though. I have about a 60% success rate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts