Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...So far ITS AMAZING! Throttle response seems easier, carb farting seems to be far reduced (only 45 degrees here yesterday), the sound from the pipes is ridiculous. The only thing I worry about somewhat is the pilot screw being 3.25 turns out seems more than a lot of people on here. Im actually going to nudge it out a tiny bit more possibly. Does that seem out of the ordinary to be 3.0 - 3.5 turns out?

Here is what I did this past week.

1. Drilled/Tapped/Heli-Coil broken exhaust manifold bolt. (front, front)
2. Installed EZ-Adjust air fuel screw in carb.
3. Debaffled stock pipes (sounds too good to be true)
4. Grampsize mod:
-165 main w/ two washers on top of ering to stop movement
-50 pilot
-Air fuel screw 3.25 turns out (could go another 1/4 turn)
-Drilled 1/8 hole in slide
-Replaced the two rubber caps (starting to crack) I had on the reed valves with a single length of unblocked hose
5. Rebuild petcock only to find it still dripping. Bought new one from Dave (goddarddr).

·
Registered
887 Posts
This all looks good BUT these jets are too large for stock pipes. Yes you debaffled the rear of the muffler for sound but there is another set of baffles in the front of the muffler that you can't remove (without cutting in half then rewelding together) so the pipes are still to restrictive. These jet sizes are for aftermarket pipes. And with a 50 pilot there is no reason to be out 3 plus turns unless there is a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything ive read about the grampsize mod has never said anything about removing the front baffles. The link from the Russian Wolf pdf goes to a site that shows removal of rear baffles only.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thats because you CAN"T remove these baffles without cutting the mufflers in half and then rewelding them together and then (if they're not ruined) they're still not as good as aftermarket. And if I remember right, Russian says these jet sizes are NOT for stock (or debaffled stock) pipes. Debaffling only improves the sound only,will not help in lowering restrictiveness or performance.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
This all looks good BUT these jets are too large for stock pipes. Yes you debaffled the rear of the muffler for sound but there is another set of baffles in the front of the muffler that you can't remove (without cutting in half then rewelding together) so the pipes are still to restrictive. These jet sizes are for aftermarket pipes. And with a 50 pilot there is no reason to be out 3 plus turns unless there is a vacuum leak.

Those jets have been proven over and over again to be the right choice for debaffled or aftermarket pipes with free flowing air intake on the 800. Most do not have to open the air/fuel screw that far, but some have, just depends on the carb.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you want to learn alot about the 800 and carb and exhaust mods, take a day or two and read the entire 500/750/800/900 section, It's mostly about the 800 (at one time we had taken it over, lol).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the Russ Wolf site... **** I hope I dont have to buy a new exhaust after doing all the work on the stock one!

"At the very least, the rear baffles of the OEM exhaust system must be removed; an excellent step-by-step procedure to do this on an 800A or 800 Classic can be found at Pusher's page"

·
Registered
887 Posts
Those jets have been proven over and over again to be the right choice for debaffled or aftermarket pipes with free flowing air intake on the 800. Most do not have to open the air/fuel screw that far, but some have, just depends on the carb.
HI ya blue, sorry but I just looked at russians site, and the first sentance says " air box mods cannot be done while using OEM exhaust". I disagree with this broad statement but only because his mod is being discribed for total performance which includes an exhaust. This airbox mod will work but I beleive those jet sizes are to large for OEM exhaust, many have tried.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The bike will run with these jets but I believe it will be pretty rich which will give bad gas milage, won't help performance, and may soot foul the spark plugs in a while. Run it and do a plug check to see if they're clean or sooty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts